Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

To insulate or not to insulate

Did you insulate your bus? If so, was it worth it? If not, do you wish you had? We're on the fence since we'll be chasing the sun for the most part with shorter stays in wintery climates during the holidays. Just looking for input from those of you who have been down this road before us!

8people... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Insulation is not just to keep you warm when it's cold out, it works the other way also. You'll be in a big tin can oven, it would behoove you to insulate if you plan on spending much time in it. It will maximize the heat and air systems you have. If anyone here tells you it isn't important (I doubt any will) will be someone who didn't do it and are rationalizing their mistake and don't know what a difference it would make. It is considered THE most important step to starting a build. Good luck selling a rig that has been completely converted , yet didn't insulate.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Insulation works both ways. I’ll most likely never take my bus to the cold. I’ll need all the help I can get keeping the AC in. It’s not uncommon to see high 90s and low 100 degree temps here. I’m doing all i can to keep the heat out and the cool in. Every bit of efficiency I can get out of mine, i plan to implement it.

Also, when i decide to sell mine, it would appeal to those who may want to take it to the colder climates.

Is it a lot of work. YES. Worth it. Only time will tell.

My uncle didn’t insulate his, and he regrets it. It doesn’t even get that cold in Louisiana but he regrets it.
EtownAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
If you want something livable, insulation is a must. It also gives you a chance to chase down all those hard to find leaks.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, bus conversion, insulation