Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

To raise the roof or not to raise the roof!? So indecisive!

Ok so we have been brainstorming for when we finally get a bus and have been writing down key points and decisions on how to go about our conversion. One major decision is whether or not we should raise the roof on our bus. I'm 5'11" and Mrs. Anarchy is 5'3". The fabrication skills are there for sure! Money is not a huge factor either as the materials to do this are cheap enough. It comes down to whether or not we want to invest the time and what benefits will it give us over just leaving things as is? So many other people get by with just a regular bus. So why is this constant back and fourth bugging me so much? Thoughts?

LoversAnarchy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoversAnarchy83 View Post
Ok so we have been brainstorming for when we finally get a bus and have been writing down key points and decisions on how to go about our conversion. One major decision is whether or not we should raise the roof on our bus. I'm 5'11" and Mrs. Anarchy is 5'3". The fabrication skills are there for sure! Money is not a huge factor either as the materials to do this are cheap enough. It comes down to whether or not we want to invest the time and what benefits will it give us over just leaving things as is? So many other people get by with just a regular bus. So why is this constant back and fourth bugging me so much? Thoughts?
I'm 5'11". My bus had 6" and a little change before I raised the roof. Even if I were 4'11" I'd do it again. I went on the sensible side and only went up ten inches. It feels like a whole new bus.
Its your decision. Do what works best for you.
I have a daily driver/weekend warrior short bus I'm leaving pretty much the way it came from the school. But the one I raised the roof on is a forty footer we plan to spend at least half the year in possibly, so it was always in the plan to raise the roof. I almost talked myself out of it and I'm SOOOOO glad I went ahead and did it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I was planning on raising the roof in mine just to make it feel more comfortable. Even though I know I'm not going to hit my head, I find myself walking inside with my head dropped because I only have a little under 2 inches of head clearance.

Then my wife suggested raising the windows with the roof. I'd never considered doing that until she thought of it, but it's a great idea. While standing, it allows you to see more out the windows than just the ground outside the bus. It also gives you enough room under the windows to fit cabinets and countertops with backsplash without overlapping the bottom of the windows.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
If you have the time, resources and friends you should do it. Raising the roof is the most practical way to properly insulate your bus and provide a thermal break. However, if you are short on time or resources, you are short enough that you can probably get away with leaving it as is.

I'm 6'3" and I did not raise my roof, I am now practicing a wider stance in preperation for living in the bus. I'm cool with it, but it would be way cool to have the extra space. No big deal though, I don't spend much time standing at home anyway, and I have a deck on my roof which could complicate clearance issues.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Rameses; I couldn't agree more about raising the windows with the roof. Past threads have referenced a weight issue changing the center of gravity, but many people dump most of the windows as they tin over the raise.
Good move. Very interested.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess it's gonna have to happen. I do love the idea of being able to stretch out
If I did a raise, I'd raise it around 20"
LoversAnarchy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Raise without a doubt. Raise every single time.
The extra room is well worth it, the look of it is well worth it, everything about a lift is worth it.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
I find myself walking inside with my head dropped because I only have a little under 2 inches of head clearance.
I was in the same boat before raising my roof. Give it some time and you'll notice hair stuck under the rivets/screws. ☺️ some work boots are tall enough that my head would jam into the ceiling, leaving my precious hair behind
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
I was in the same boat before raising my roof. Give it some time and you'll notice hair stuck under the rivets/screws. ☺️ some work boots are tall enough that my head would jam into the ceiling, leaving my precious hair behind
I have a propensity for hitting my head on things, so I always wear a hat when I'm doing work type stuff. It's amazing the difference a layer of cloth makes in how much damage is done.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Rameses; I couldn't agree more about raising the windows with the roof. Past threads have referenced a weight issue changing the center of gravity, but many people dump most of the windows as they tin over the raise.
Good move. Very interested.

The windows don't weigh enough to make a noticeable difference in the COG.

Even if it was, most of us are hanging 1,000 lbs of water and batteries under the frame. That's way more than enough to offset the difference.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Agreed, I don't think the weight would be a significant danger even without the addition of tanks and batteries underneath. The best part is you could see out without stooping over. From what I've seen on this site it's just rare for someone to raise the windows with the roof.

At least you've got hair on your head for when you bump into things. I'm in no danger of head wounds even without a roof raise.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
Bus Geek

The most common method is to cut across the ribs where the windows were. SO anyone doing that method and replacing the windows would be "raising" the windows unless for some odd reason they only mounted them where the old ones were.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The most common method is to cut across the ribs where the windows were. SO anyone doing that method and replacing the windows would be "raising" the windows unless for some odd reason they only mounted them where the old ones were.
That method essentially enlarges the opening that the window fits into. It doesn't raise the formed ledge that the window sits on top of. If you put the windows back in, there would be a gap above them that would need to be filled unless you deactivated a new shelf for them to sit on, and then fill the gap under that shelf.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
That method essentially enlarges the opening that the window fits into. It doesn't raise the formed ledge that the window sits on top of. If you put the windows back in, there would be a gap above them that would need to be filled unless you deactivated a new shelf for them to sit on, and then fill the gap under that shelf.
Oh... I was speaking about those of us using different windows. Sorry.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
Bus Geek

It's always been my thinking to raise the shoulder the windows sit on as Rameses is thinking. At the same time I am now understand ECCBs thoughts of elongating the window holes and simply attaching the windows to the top of the window frame to gain height. A new support could be attached at the bottom of the window following the raise prior to reskinning the exterior.

I was under the impression that most people were not raising the windows higher during a roof raise, leaving them to sit on the original support. It's obvious people are raising the windows, evidenced by the counter height inside the bus matching the bottom of the windows.

I'm highly resistant to covering windows at all, but I know that's not for everyone. I like the fishbowl effect when I'm out in the puckerbrush.

The advantage I see in ECCB's raise style is it gives you the choice to stagger the mounting height of the windows. People seated in the passenger area would need lower windows to easily see out while traveling. Also the staggered height of some windows would break up the straight line look of normal bus windows.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:25 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
I didn't keep a single seat window after the roof raise. Got a bunch of double pane RV windows, which have been great.
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote