Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Skoolie

toxic interior products

i'm trying to find out info on the hazards of the insulation and flooring product people suggest using on the interior of the bus. Low VOC and HAP products. a friend told me not to use particle board because of the formaldehyde but what is a cheap but safe compromise to conventional product. i've read white bead board foam is the least toxic?
any opinions or info?
thanks

adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Re: toxic interior products

I think the man to talk to is SeanF, in Arizona (or New Mexico, or Colorado, or Utah, or.........). He seems to have gone as "green" as anyone I know.

He built a beautiful conversion and his site is: http://seanf.smugmug.com/

The biggest problem, with going green is the cost. Most of us try to go green, but spending the extra money, makes it somewhat impractical. Remember, Skoolies are suppose to be low cost conversions and the closest I've seen, is Sean's conversion.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Oh, I forgot, instead of using plywood, you might try using untreated pine. For insulation, I think there is either cellulose (grounded up paper) or cotton insulation.

To protect the wood, you can use shellac, paint, or varnish instead of polyurethane.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I just read in the newspaper that FEMA is in trouble again, ...this time because all those camping trailers they put people in after Hurricane Katrina are turning out to be poisonous to live in. Formaldahyde, mostly, yes.

I've been reading several magazines over the last few years, trying to learn. You might take a look at Natural Home, Smart Homeowner, Mother Earth News, EcoLogical Home Ideas and so forth. I bet you can find a lot of info on their web sites.

In a nut shell: I've learned very little, because all this "green" business is so complicated, and sometimes even conflicting. A science in its infancy. But some things are clear enough, like "sniffing glue is not good", so you avoid materials that consist of "sawdust and glue".

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus
I know this isn't the same thing you guys are taking about, but it's pretty close. I'd like to know if the insulation inside the walls of my bus has asbestos. My bus was manufactured in 1982, and somewhere I read asbestos was banned from motor vehicles in the mid-late 1980's. Anybody have any information for me?
I really don't know, but you might take your vin number and check, with either a Bluebird dealer or the manufacturer, they should be able to give you an answer.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Skoolie

thanks ya'll, anything new let me know, maybe this should be a new major thread as some of others want to live for a while in side our mobiles, ya'll haha, twangy grammar. i found a closet liner particle board made from pressed cedar chips, even if toxic , seductive smell. haha again.
adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: ISB Cummings
Rated Cap: 84

We're trying to figure out what to seal our floors and walls with, and have had a hard time finding things that don't have potentially horrifying side-effects. I think that this is going to be a major issue as we do our conversion, because it seems like if we're not careful we could run into a lot of nasty chemicals along the way. I agree with an earlier post that it'd be great to get more information about this.
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote