Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: Transfer Switch dead; Burned relay; Replace it?

Quote:
I do have some soldering/de-soldering skills and equipment. I was thinking that I might be able to replace this component myself and save some money.
Yes, you can. There is nothing magical about the Chinese part number. The pinout is usually standard. Just be sure that the replacement part is the same and can handle the current. You might want to install a socket, as hot-switching may burn out replacement relays every couple of years.

Hint: The circuit board does not look like it has open runs, but desoldering the heavy lugs may damage some of the PC ring(s) around the relay legs. I usually add a backup wire over the top of the repaired circuit run. If you don't have buss wire, Strip some small solid-core wire, or cut out a couple of inches of small Romex and use a piece of the ground wire. With needlenose pliers make a tight "U," lay it around the leg of the replacement relay before soldering. With the pliers, squeeze the "U" shut around the relay leg, and then solder the relay, wire, and circuit board together. Then bend the wire to lay on top of the original PC run, and solder the other end down, wrapping it around a pin also, if possible. Trim off any ends that stick out past the original space with side cutters.
Quote:
My other thought is I can just do away with the switch all-together and go old-school with a 30A receptacle for the generator. The only issue with this is I don't really have a convenient place to do it . . .
If I understand your set-up, if you eliminate the transfer box, you should be able to take the wires that come up from the generator and put a female cord end on them there. This is probably the fastest and most fool-proof fix.
Quote:
Does anyone sell an easy to mount, pre-fab 30A (or 50A, upgrade!) quick-connect coupler box for shore power that doesn't require an extensive support structure? Our RV is an aluminum sided Allegro.
Sure, but the good stuff ain't cheap. Search the http://www.Grainger.com website for "Inlets, Twist-to-Lock" to see some of what's out there. Ones with weather-proof covers will cost more than ones without protection. If you see something you like, do a search on it. Marine supply houses will generally have better-quality and higher-priced fittings.

Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Transfer Switch dead; Burned relay; Replace it?

Quote:
Would I also be able to hook up a double pole manual power switch?
Double pole would be OK for 120 volts, you would need 3 pole if you wire for 240 volts, because you are supposed to transfer the neutral when on generator. You are not supposed to tie your genset neutral to the shoreline neutral.

I doubt the plugging/unplugging a cord would be a wear issue, but just throwing a switch is always a neater and faster way to go. Plus, unlike the automatic transfer, you can decide which source will power the load. For example, if you decided to warm up the genny with no load, you could. I think the RV industry usually has the generator provide power the load whenever it's running, regardless of the presence or absence of shore power.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote