Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Transmission seal leak?

After I recently move my bus to a different location to be stored I noticed a small spot of oil the next day (first image). I thought it was from the oil container but couldn't tell as there were oil drippings here and there like on hoses and a little on the transmission but nothing bad to where I can tell where the leak was actually coming from as the spots were all over but not all that widespread.

The next day I drove it to get new tires installed and when I parked it back and came back the next day I noticed the another spot but bigger. Now I can tell it's coming from the transmission, or at least it seems so. I asked a guy who's savy on this kind of stuff and he said it seems like it's the transmission seal. He says from the spots on the ground it doesn't seem that bad and he wouldn't worry about it. He also says that it's real easy to fix unless you have to drop the transmission.

I read somewhere online that this kind of thing can be sealed with a liquid that mixes in with the transmission fluid, I guess? Please tell me this is true?

Edit: There was supposed to be an image of the bigger leak but I forgot to take it, but you get the picture (no pun intended) haha!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20201101_183729.jpg  

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Looks like a bird, giving you the bird.

Only way to know what the fluid is, is to dab a gloved finger in it and smell it. Gloved because used oil can cause cancer. Trans fluid and power steering fluid will have a unique smell, as will hydraulic brake fluid (if equipped). Engine oil will not smell the same, and fuel will smell completely different than anything else.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:39 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
Is this an automatic transmission? Is the oil coming from the front or the rear of the transmission? That spot of oil look very dark, like it is motor oil and not transmission fluid, transmission fluid should be reddish in color. If it is the rear seal in the engine then the transmission will need to be removed to replace that seal. Also true if it is the front seal in the transmission. If it is the rear seal in the transmission then it will depend on which transmission it is on weather or not the transmission has to be removed and opened up in order to replace the seal. Others on here could tell you more about the rear seal than I can though.
Shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:08 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Also, consided that fluids tend to get pushed backwards along a vehicle's undercarriage while driving due to the turbulence of air moving underneath it. Just because it's debarking at that spot, doesn't mean that's where the leak is. You don't mention FE or RE, what's forward of where the drippings meet the ground?
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Looks like a bird, giving you the bird.

Only way to know what the fluid is, is to dab a gloved finger in it and smell it. Gloved because used oil can cause cancer. Trans fluid and power steering fluid will have a unique smell, as will hydraulic brake fluid (if equipped). Engine oil will not smell the same, and fuel will smell completely different than anything else.
Haha. Yea he did smell it but he seemed unsure. I think ultimately he leaned towards motor. Hopefully based on what you say, it isn't the transmission. Either way, I hope whatever it is is an easy fix and I'm able to deal with it before it get out of hand

Thanks
Old 11-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamoke View Post
Is this an automatic transmission? Is the oil coming from the front or the rear of the transmission? That spot of oil look very dark, like it is motor oil and not transmission fluid, transmission fluid should be reddish in color. If it is the rear seal in the engine then the transmission will need to be removed to replace that seal. Also true if it is the front seal in the transmission. If it is the rear seal in the transmission then it will depend on which transmission it is on weather or not the transmission has to be removed and opened up in order to replace the seal. Others on here could tell you more about the rear seal than I can though.
It's an automatic and the oil is right in-between the the oil container and the front of the transmission but like I mentioned earlier, the driplets here and there makes it kinda hard to pinpoint it. I'm gonna spray some krudkutter degreaser on the whole underside, let it sit and then spray it off with a battery powered sprayer that's about 70 PSI. Maybe that'll help me see what's going on a little clearer