Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Trap door over the engine in a re?

I have tried to google this question but keep getting pointed to battery doors, side engine doors, etc. In a RE school, is there a door right over the engine compartment, leading into the interior, so that some forms of engine repair and maintenance can be done more easily?

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
On my 2002 all American there is a rear panel that can bolt off if you need access. I would say that unless you are removing the engine, it isn't likely I would have to open this panel. I have the 5.9, and can reach just about everything on the engine from the rear door.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
No, usually not. All of my engine access is from the rear, a very large door. If I try to access it from the inside, the doghouse is large and a very large number of screws hold it down.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
On my 2002 all American there is a rear panel that can bolt off if you need access. I would say that unless you are removing the engine, it isn't likely I would have to open this panel. I have the 5.9, and can reach just about everything on the engine from the rear door.

I also have the 2002 All American RE. I have the 8.3 Cummins and will leave the access panel accessable. The 8.3 is a bit longer and taller than the 5.9 making the top access more important.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
In an RE, a trap door from the engine compartment to the inside would be too much of a fire hazard. If a fire started in the engine compartment, it has a much easier time moving into the passenger compartment through the space between the mounting and the trap door.

Or, the trap door costs as much as the bus to make it fire resistant enough to give the driver and occupants time to stop the bus and get out....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
In an RE, a trap door from the engine compartment to the inside would be too much of a fire hazard. If a fire started in the engine compartment, it has a much easier time moving into the passenger compartment through the space between the mounting and the trap door.

Or, the trap door costs as much as the bus to make it fire resistant enough to give the driver and occupants time to stop the bus and get out....
Most RE buses come from the factory with access panels that allow access to the top front (or rear depending on how you are looking at it) of the engine from inside the bus.

It does not appear to have been a problem so far.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

My rear panel is a heck of a lot more solid than any fe doghouse I have ever seen. It's solid and was a 4 person seat. It has screws holding it in, and it can be removed. As Steve notes, different engine configurations may make it necessary to go in from that angle.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Most RE buses come from the factory with access panels that allow access to the top front (or rear depending on how you are looking at it) of the engine from inside the bus.

It does not appear to have been a problem so far.
Well, I stand corrected then. I've not seen an RE with such a hatch, but I probably wouldn't buy such a bus just from that standpoint.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
yes , we have one in our RE, very handy for some stuff.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Well, I stand corrected then. I've not seen an RE with such a hatch, but I probably wouldn't buy such a bus just from that standpoint.
It isn't like a dog house, it's an access panel. Screwed down. Most are Incorporated into the rear bench seat.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I have a hatch under my rear seat that gives me easy access to the rear of the engine where the hydraulic/PS pump and air compressor are. I can also reach the end of the blower and the turbo through there, and with some contortions and a crowfoot wrench I can also reach the transmission temperature gauge's sender through it. Without this hatch they would be inaccessible. (I'm thinking about installing a bypass valve on the blower to gain a few HP, and it will be easy to reach that area through the hatch.) If any RE bus does not have easy access to the back of the engine, you will have a problem when (not if) you need to get back there.

Likewise, if a bus has floor hatches above the engine and transmission (like mid-engine Crowns and Gilligs) or above the fuel tank, leave them accessible! Covering them over is asking for trouble.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 366 BBC
In my 72 All American there is a hatch... Honestly, doubt you will ever need it... the bus is extremely accessible from the outside the way the corners swing open.. But I still didn't cover it, just in case
Old 09-30-2017, 12:45 AM   #13
Bus Nut

That's an escape hatch for the hamsters. LoL look into it see what's there or it could be a fresh air intake and the grate/ cover is missing . mine is a 92 TC2000 and air intake is on right top rear of body and has a lift up door on the engine compartment

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
91 AARE has a hatch, I did open it up to get a proper reading on the gauge when I adjusted the valves. If you have a hatch don't build over it without some means of getting it open. It's there for a reason.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote