Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
EDITED DUE TO LANGUAGE
I apologize. I didn't see that the MOM+1 means you .Your mom owns and drives the bus and you are just a kid..

I should have ignored you and you should learn that i was only giving an opinion so as no family will try this. A bunch of guys. Then tell us about the trip.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I spend a few weeks in Mexico every year on vacation there with my GF, and I've never felt unsafe or uncomfortable there. However, I've never been south of MX, but some of the Central American countries are not exactly tourist hotspots for good reason. Within MX itself the toll roads (cuotas) are generally well-maintained, but the toll charges are very expensive. Because they are federal highways they are safe, even at night. The non-toll roads are not sensible for night-time travel, especially in more remote areas.

One Crown owner has painted his bus gray, and when he drives it through MX he says he never has any problems and he often gets waved straight through checkpoints - he thinks it's because folk there assume he is something to do with the MX navy or marines when they see a big grey vehicle approaching! Local MX police don't want to mess with the military.

John
Old 05-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Everywhere they say Danger at Night. I would be a very very worried person were my bus to breakdown and i have to stay all night beside the road. I have had guns pointed at me and been shot at and once a 12 ga. stuck in my mouth and i stopped two different guys from robbing me because of my Ruger 357. I don't want anything to do with stuff like that and i didn't then.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have traveled Mexico in my car, pickup & RV. I have to agree with Iceni John.

I choose not to travel at night even on the toll roads. I also avoid traveling at night on US interstates when I am on vacation.... I prefer being settled someplace relaxing at night. After all... I am on vacation....

I have also spent some time in Belize and would not hesitate to drive my bus from WA to Belize. I would avoid Belize City as it is almost as dangerous as Detroit. I have driven in Detroit, Chicago and D.C. at night and saw areas of each that scared me worse than anything that I have seen, so far, in Mexico or Belize.

Bottom line.... If you are afraid to drive in Mexico or Central America then DON'T!

If you choose to travel there then arm yourself with (real) information and common sense and go for it.

Be safe wherever you choose to travel.

S.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:33 AM   #25
Bus Geek

This thread is far too derailed, this is still a family based site and inappropriate language was used
Closed Thread