Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #1

Turns over but doesn't stay on - is it a safety thing?

I have a '91 Ford Handy Bus. Sometimes I'll go to start up the bus, and it turns over, but doesn't stay on. I'm not sure if maybe it's something connected with the air brakes or some sort of safety. Doesn't matter what gear I put it in, it won't stay on - even if I try to put the brake on "release". But, sometimes it turns right over and drives great. I make sure the back door is closed, the handycap door, and side door. It sounds like it wants to go, but something just makes it power right down. I'm thinking it's something electrical. Anybody else have this problem? She sounds and runs great when I'm finally able to get her turned over and on.

lseagro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

how about more details?

what engine ?

does the motor stall, or just idle?

does it act up before you try to put it in gear?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Need more info, is it diesel or gas? Have you cheked air and fuel filters?
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:16 AM   #4

how about more details? Sure thing.

-->air and fuel filters <I think - God, I hope with the $$ I've spent> both have been changed,

what engine ? It's a Ford B600, Diesel,

does the motor stall, or just idle? it stalls; it starts but cuts out.

does it act up before you try to put it in gear? yes - neutral with brake switch flipped up (engaged)...then I try releasing the brake...still no avail. It seems to not work at all if I try to put it in anyother gear.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lseagro1
what engine ? It's a Ford B600, Diesel,
that doesn't really say what diesel engine is in your bus. Ford B600 is the chassis.

is it an inline 6 cylinder motor that is grey in color? This would the brazilian/new holland seriers. either a 6.6 liter or a 7.8.

or

is it a V-8 motor? In this case, it's almost certianly a 7.3 liter powerstroke (or an earlier predecestor)...did they have a 6.9? first? I'm not too familiarwith these engines.

There might be more engine options available too......
Old 11-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
I've never even heard of a 7.3 IH in a B600...it was pickup-only for Fords. A B600 could also have:
5.9 B-series Cummins (I-6).
8.2 Detroit (V
3208 Cat (V8, very unlikely)
8.3 Cummins (I-6, very, VERY unliklely)
6V53 or 6V71 Detroit (V6, very, very unlikely...but would be pretty cool)
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
Bus Nut

How well does it idle? Since it is a diesel it is pretty simple. They take air and fuel. Can you rev up the engine while it is in neutral? It might be a fuel problem like air in the line or the pickup is clogged in the tank. Any unusual smoke while it is running?
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Some buses with lift doors have switches wired up that will cut the power to the injector pump when the lift door is open and you try to put it in gear. I doubt yours has this set up, but its a thought.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #9

Excellent info so far! thank you guys!

I wish it was a Cummins! I'm not sure what it is. I'll check under the hood and let you know for sure.

As for idling, it won't get to idling due to this issue I'm having.

When I go to gas it as I'm turning it on, it doesn't "take".
Old 11-29-2005, 12:51 PM   #10

oh, and no smoking issue at all. It does suspiciously seem like an air/fuel issue...but 2 folks have worked on it and said they changed those out/checked them. Hmmmm. wonder what they did or didn't do? I really would love to get a manual of my bus to look at it myself. Where can I get one of those?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:56 PM   #11

this may be way out there...but could it be this:

NHTSA Recall No. 94V056/Ford Recall No. 94S83
Vehicles: Ford 1987-1994 B600 and B700 medium duty school bus chassis equipped with hydraulic brakes, tilt hoods, 5.9L, 6.6L, or 7.6L diesel engines or 6.1L or 7.0L gasoline engines.
Population: 3,660 chassis sold or currently registered in the states of Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Wisconsin.
Problem: The battery power junction block mounted on the right fender apron, which serves as an electrical connection point for several engine compartment systems, is susceptible to road splash. The terminals at the junction block can experience corrosion and can fracture, causing loss of electrical power and engine shutdown. Engine shutdown, loss of power steering assist, or loss of hydraulic brake boost can occur which could result in loss of vehicle control and a crash.
Remedy: Dealers will replace the junction box, main power terminal, the starter or starter relay, and terminals at the existing junction block. The wiring of the hydraulic brake circuit will also be modified by bypassing the junction block. The new terminals will be made from an alloy material more resistant to salt corrosion. Owners should contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332.