Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford E450 Van
Engine: 7.3L V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 5 window / 29 person / WC
Two Metal Floors?

Hi all,

Is it possible that my bus has two metal floors?

I've owned my bus for 2 months and am a couple weeks into the demolition process.

I have the floors mostly down to bare sheet metal. Overall, the floors look good. Not too rusty, mostly just leftover road salt that seems to have dried and crusted (hopefully it's that and not mold).

However, there are two darker metal floor panels, one on each side of the bus, right under the 3rd windows (in a 5 window bus). They appear to be painted. These spots are also where I've found the most rust.

Is it possible these panels are a different metal than the rest of the floor? Or that the school district added a second metal floor on top of most of the bus (but skipped these parts for some reason).

My wheelchair lift has a manufacture date of 2005 but the bus is a 2001. I'm guessing the school district added the lift after the bus was in service for a few years. Not sure if this has something to do with the different floors?

Below are pictures of the differences in the floor, my one rust spot, and the white stuff I found under one of the plywood panels.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0429 (1).jpg   IMG_0432.jpg   IMG_0433.jpg   IMG_0423.jpg   IMG_0425.jpg  

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 1.58.19 PM.jpg  

Chad1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Another view of the difference in the floor panels.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0500.jpg  
Old 01-17-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1865 View Post
However, there are two darker metal floor panels, one on each side of the bus, right under the 3rd windows (in a 5 window bus). They appear to be painted. These spots are also where I've found the most rust.

Is it possible these panels are a different metal than the rest of the floor? Or that the school district added a second metal floor on top of most of the bus (but skipped these parts for some reason).
If I had to guess, I would think there was some rot in those areas so they cut out the old metal and patched in new pieces from below. Someone else may have a better idea or explanation, though.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
If I had to guess, I would think there was some rot in those areas so they cut out the old metal and patched in new pieces from below. Someone else may have a better idea or explanation, though.
that was my first thought when I saw the pictures - that white substance, could that be from battery acid?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
What are under the panel's?
One could be fuel tank access cause it's easier to pull the tank accessories up through the floor than it is to drop a full tank.?
And one could be the auxiliary battery access for the added lift?
Pull the panel's and see what's there.
Then we all can,will discuss various sealing options?
Have fun
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all the replies.

I'd been wondering where the fuel tank access panel might be, so it could be one of these "different metal" patches.

The bus is currently at a mechanic right now, so I'm going based off memory/pictures...

My 2x main batteries are closer to the front of the bus (right next to the entry stairs), not under the rusted panel on the right-hand side. But, an accessory battery for the lift is an interesting thought.

When I checked quickly the other day, I didn't automatically see any wires running from the lift to the main batteries. Do the lifts ever have their own battery?

I didn't get a good look at the left-hand panel as I pulled up the last of the plywood in near-darkness a couple nights ago. If memory serves, it's all the way to the left-hand side of the bus whereas my fuel tank is centered under the bus.

I'd rather not pull the panels since I don't have any welding skills
Old 01-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The dark patches look like they are in the location of where a wheel well would go for a big wheel bus. Deleted on the E450 because of smaller tire/wheel?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The dark patches look like they are in the location of where a wheel well would go for a big wheel bus. Deleted on the E450 because of smaller tire/wheel?
Ahhh that would make sense. Interesting.

I wonder if they chose a less worthy metal for those patches and that's why it's rusted there, or if it's coincidental with where leaky windows are. Hmmm...