Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #1

Type of bus to choose to start a conversion

Hi everyone!
I'm a newbie here, starting in my head and brainstorming for a future bus conversion, I'm thinking about the type of bus to use:
Here are my findings;

- School bus:
PROS: Low initial cost, robust frame, usuable storage below the bus for MEP (mechanical, electrical, plumbing) those with compartment are excellant
CONS: Low ceiling, small windows, (maybe to common project! I like to do something different)

-Transit bus high floor:
PROS: Ceiling little higher, some have A/C
CONS: initial cost higher, less usuable storage underneath for MEP

-Transit bus low floor:
PROS: Really high ceiling, some have A/C, big windows
CONS: initial cost higher, no room under for MEP

-Transit bus articulated:
PROS: Really high ceiling, some have A/C, big windows, big huge space
CONS: initial cost higher, no room under for MEP, parking problem in comping grounds

-Coach
PROS: Really high ceiling, A/C, big windows, big huge space underneath for storage and MEP
CONS: Really high initial price

Evendently, if I by a much older bus, the inital cost would be less, but maybe more problems ahead, and finding part may not be easy. I have a budget but I'm not sticking to it in a way because if I see an opportunity with a type of bus, then I'll go for it.
I know some people have taken school bus and raised the roof, but the work to do is it worth it, or buying a transit bus with a higher ceiling would not be better ?

I have a personnal favorite for the articulated bus, low floor like this one ( http://www.bargainbusnews.com/Buses/610 ... rticulated ). This is a different king of project and I find the final result could be amasing!

All those questions! Please, I'm angered to hear your answer and experience!

Thank you all!

Davectuneterreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

Re: Type of bus to choose to start a conversion

Hi,
I am very new to this adventure myself, but from what I'm reading in "Select and Convert Your Bus into a Motorhome on a Shoestring" by Ben Rosander, school buses will get you the most mileage while transit buses aren't designed for long-distance driving. Other people with more experience would have better input, though. Good luck!
abstractangel is offline   Reply With Quote