Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: MO
Posts: 198
Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Type of diesel for Detroit 671

Hey guys, so the other day I took my crown to fill up and a nice worker at loves advised me to look for regular diesel because he stated loves has biodiesel at the truck lanes, he showed me the difference between both in look and color. He mentioned that my engine will be better off with normal diesel. Now after some reading I see most truck stops sell b20, b15, b10 blends. Can anyone with knowledge on this weigh in and help me figure out how to find out what each store or truck stop sells. I've filled at some places that have Diesel #2 is that the same as biodiesel or is that regular diesel and any of the b5-b20 are separate or can they all be marketed as diesel #2. I just want to protect our engine and make sure I'm not putting some fuel that is going to cause damage long term.
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,501
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Bio will clean out your fuel tank, so be prepared to change fuel filters more often at first.

Bio lubricates injectors better, and has no harmful effects on the 6-71. Where it can be a problem is any rubber fuel lines. Inside the engine it is pipe, outside the engine may well have a least short pieces of rubber lines. Check or replace them with bio compatable lines.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: MO
Posts: 198
Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Bio will clean out your fuel tank, so be prepared to change fuel filters more often at first.

Bio lubricates injectors better, and has no harmful effects on the 6-71. Where it can be a problem is any rubber fuel lines. Inside the engine it is pipe, outside the engine may well have a least short pieces of rubber lines. Check or replace them with bio compatable lines.
How do I know if the fuel filter needs changed, I am planning on changing the oil and filters next month as it will reach the 2700 mile mark since last service. The engine was partially rebuilt, they had cracked the heads and so replaced them, all filters were changed then etc. I drove it from California and then been driving it no more than 200 miles at a time few times this summer. Is there any way I can open the fuel filter and see if it needs changed before this trip I need to take this weekend (2 hour trip) What fuel should I be using straight Diesel or do all those bio fuelse b5,b10, b15 work? Is #2 Diesel a biofuel or is it straight diesel?
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,501
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
no 2 diesel should be straight diesel.

Does your bus have a fuel pressure gauge? If so the fuel pressure will drop as the filter gets dirty. If no pressure gauge then you change filters on the recommended schedule unless you notice a loss of power, then change the filter.

The older 6-71 had a canister type fuel filter which you could take the filter out and look at it. Thing is that really does not tell you if it has too much restriction or not. A fuel pressure reading is the proper way to tell when the filter is in need of changing.

All the bios work but with the issues already mentioned. So if you are comfortable changing fuel filters on the road go for it. if not stay with straight diesel.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,501
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Oh about what fuel you are getting at a fuel station, it must by law be marked on the fuel pump.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 1,028
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I've been wondering the same thing about Biodiesel in my 95 DT466 mechanical engine. Is biodiesel copacetic or is it better to stick to regular diesel? I can change a fuel filter, but I'd rather not have to on the side of the road.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,501
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I've been wondering the same thing about Biodiesel in my 95 DT466 mechanical engine. Is biodiesel copacetic or is it better to stick to regular diesel? I can change a fuel filter, but I'd rather not have to on the side of the road.

yours is much newer and not as likely to have as much muck in the fuel tank, could still be some in there though
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: MO
Posts: 198
Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
no 2 diesel should be straight diesel.

Does your bus have a fuel pressure gauge? If so the fuel pressure will drop as the filter gets dirty. If no pressure gauge then you change filters on the recommended schedule unless you notice a loss of power, then change the filter.

The older 6-71 had a canister type fuel filter which you could take the filter out and look at it. Thing is that really does not tell you if it has too much restriction or not. A fuel pressure reading is the proper way to tell when the filter is in need of changing.

All the bios work but with the issues already mentioned. So if you are comfortable changing fuel filters on the road go for it. if not stay with straight diesel.
Thanks for the input, my bus does not have a fuel pressure gauge, so how do I check if the fuel filter needs changed, I don't think it has original fuel filters they are Napa replacement ones they are turned lose and replaceable.

I've driven in about 2500 miles since last service and I'm sure most of those fill ups have been #2 diesel but the last 2 or 3 have probably been b15 since it's the loves truck stop that I know learned is b15. So the last 1,000 miles have probably been mostly b10 or b15. It's got 2 fuel filters.
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:04 AM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,501
Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
No other way to actually check the fuel filters other than fuel pressure. There is a port on the engine to install one. I like gauges....

If the filter clogs you will lose power noticeably. this is another way to know when they have to be changed.

I must say under normal use the manufacturer's recommendations of when to change have been well figured out. Thing is diesel used to be dirtier than it is now, and bio loosens that sediment in the fuel tank.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×