Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Types of wood stoves and heating choices.

Hello, think I have decided on wood heat for long term heating in my bus, but am looking at the types of stoves, this one on amazon https://www.amazon.com/US-Stove-1269.../dp/B019XJ7E7K is a good price size etc but has some pretty bad reviews, anyone have that stove and use it?

Then there is the tent style stoves for even better prices, but don't seem well built for long term use. Can those be used long term?

More about the bus... The ceiling will be stock and all of the windows will uncovered as well just stock. So the mass power and cheapness of burning wood will be the best choice, correct? the walls under the windows and floors will 1 1/2" ridge foam. Weather wise looking at WA OR AZ NM NV no more mountains. I don't expect the bus to be 75 inside infact 63 is perfect temp indoors for me, and I plan on being on grid so would electric work better? Thanks for any put.

bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
On my second stove in 3 months and still not happy. Started with an old cast iron "cigar style" stove almost identical to the modern version you posted from Amazon. Got good and hot but didnt close up tight enough to get any longer than 3hr burn. Ive heard those new ones have the same problem. We recently swapped ours for little Jotul 602, which has been much more efficient and more controlled burn due to being a tighter stove, but the inside has proven to be too small, so we still only getting 3-4 hour burn, but just with less wood.

So moral of the story; get something air tight, and with decent size capacity. This can be tricky though when trying to keep the stove relatively small. Right now I am looking at something like a Fisher Baby Bear.

We also now have a Dickinson Marine propane heater as secondary heat source to keep things above freezing when we are unable to keep the stove stoked.

Good luck.
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
"tent" stoves are typically made of sheet metal to be lightweight.
Thus they won't last as long as cast iron or other metal stoves that are cast or heavy plate construction.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Just me but seeing that your from MT i'd start watching country/farm/small town auction's keeping a eye out for older stoves, I picked up these 2 stoves for $180.00 for the pair.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0339.jpg  
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Must be airtight or a waste of time and energy to install anything else in a cold climate. That one you posted a pic of certainly is not. My opinion, forget that one. And get one with firebrick in it too.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: M88
Engine: Cat 3208 T215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post
Hello, think I have decided on wood heat for long term heating in my bus, but am looking at the types of stoves, this one on amazon https://www.amazon.com/US-Stove-1269.../dp/B019XJ7E7K is a good price size etc but has some pretty bad reviews, anyone have that stove and use it?

Then there is the tent style stoves for even better prices, but don't seem well built for long term use. Can those be used long term?

More about the bus... The ceiling will be stock and all of the windows will uncovered as well just stock. So the mass power and cheapness of burning wood will be the best choice, correct? the walls under the windows and floors will 1 1/2" ridge foam. Weather wise looking at WA OR AZ NM NV no more mountains. I don't expect the bus to be 75 inside infact 63 is perfect temp indoors for me, and I plan on being on grid so would electric work better? Thanks for any put.
Hi, I just completed what you are seeking to do. I have 40 Thomas flat noise with the large U S stove company cook stove. It works awesome, I get 75 degrees 35 ft all the way to the back of the bus. I have lots of pictures of My build and will try to figure how to up load.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
bfrey92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrey92 View Post
Hi, I just completed what you are seeking to do. I have 40 Thomas flat noise with the large U S stove company cook stove. It works awesome, I get 75 degrees 35 ft all the way to the back of the bus. I have lots of pictures of My build and will try to figure how to up load.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Old 01-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

I have mine lined with fire brick, and burn the compressed hard wood bricks. Very little ash almost, zero creosote. I usually get 5 hours on 6 bricks (21 pounds) which cost me $2.75! From Menards. Once the Cast and hearth bricks and fire brick warm up.... very warm.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Bfrey, thanks for sharing! Your bus looks awesome and everyone looks cozy and warm.

Questions:

1. I fear fires within the bus quite a bit and was wondering if you're doing anything special to bypass clearances for your wood stove. I'm sure you know what you're doing with a setup like that but I was just curious. I don't think I will follow fire code, but will do my best to adhere by doing stuff like making stainless steel heat shields and using rock wool insulation near the stove itself. Also my stove is pretty small so it's probably less of a fire hazard. None the less, safety first!

2. Is your chimney removable or extendable? If so do you have any pictures of chimney covers? If not, why did you choose that way?

Thanks in advance, I'm eager for your answers.

Also in response to the original poster(Bigskypc50), I'm planning to have a tiny wood stove (which many here have agreed are very demanding with intentions) in addition to a dickenson marine stove. I have no experience with this stove, but it looks cool and is rated well.

If I were you I would look local on craigslist to see what they have there. Buying a poorly rated stove shipped from amazon probably isn't your best bet. Also unless you have a ton of wood and a stove which can burn through the night, I would consider insulating over some of your windows or at least your bed space. Drafts are no joke, with my bus mostly insulated I can keep her modestly warm in WA winter climate with a 1500 watt space heater, but it's not t-shirt warm yet.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love the way that would stove sets up in there.. looks great!!

I burn the ECO-BRICKS style in my fireplace at the house and love them... they burn really evenly, dont pop, and seem to have a lot of BTU's for the time that they burn.. relatively easy to start and small amount of ashes too..

is that Dashboard A/C in the front of your bus? i like the layout of your dash vents.. (old international scout style A/C vents)..

that bus looks super cool!!

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #18
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 cumnins
Quote:

This looks like a good setup. I too am very curious if it has to be removed while driving. I want to do a stove but if the pipe has to be removed every time then it's a no go for me.
Did you use any special high wind or marine grade chimney?
Does any ash come in at all if you hit the road?
Do you just let the fire burn out, close the flue and go?

Thanks for any info

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
Bfrey, thanks for sharing! Your bus looks awesome and everyone looks cozy and warm.

Questions:

1. I fear fires within the bus quite a bit and was wondering if you're doing anything special to bypass clearances for your wood stove. I'm sure you know what you're doing with a setup like that but I was just curious. I don't think I will follow fire code, but will do my best to adhere by doing stuff like making stainless steel heat shields and using rock wool insulation near the stove itself. Also my stove is pretty small so it's probably less of a fire hazard. None the less, safety first!

2. Is your chimney removable or extendable? If so do you have any pictures of chimney covers? If not, why did you choose that way?

Thanks in advance, I'm eager for your answers.

Also in response to the original poster(Bigskypc50), I'm planning to have a tiny wood stove (which many here have agreed are very demanding with intentions) in addition to a dickenson marine stove. I have no experience with this stove, but it looks cool and is rated well.

If I were you I would look local on craigslist to see what they have there. Buying a poorly rated stove shipped from amazon probably isn't your best bet. Also unless you have a ton of wood and a stove which can burn through the night, I would consider insulating over some of your windows or at least your bed space. Drafts are no joke, with my bus mostly insulated I can keep her modestly warm in WA winter climate with a 1500 watt space heater, but it's not t-shirt warm yet.
TAOLIK, Hi i will post my hearth build pic in a little bit, I built over the wheel well 2x4 frame with spaced apart for heat distribution. Framing in approx. 1 inch from wainscotting on the side wall. I then screwed hardy backer board on (1/2 in), and then put the brick on (concrete) with thin-set followed up with regular mortar mix for 1/2 joints. The stove is anchored by large turnbuckles to eyelets screwed in the frame. The stove is approx. 7 inches away from the brick on the side and back of the stove. The wall behind the drivers seat is open for heat to exchange. With the stove a roaring, I can put my hand on the hardy board between wall or behind the seat and hold it there all day long. In my opinion, the brick in nice to look at vs. steel heat shield and the brick radiates the heat well once warmed up. 2. The chimney is one 4ft class A pipe and adapters from class A to standard 6 in pipe which is approx. 12 in. So my pipe is approx 5ft tall! LOL and it drafts the smoke out perfectly. All i did was cut the hole installed pipe, then installed the Dektite High temp Pipe Flashing seal and screw in to the roof, add the all weather cap and light the fire. I have had 3 big rains and a snow with zero leaks. I have driven 75 mph with this setup with no movement or back-draft. I have gone down the road with fire burned down to coals with no smoke. With regards to chimney covers, do you mean a cloth cover for the chimney itself or the cap? All chimney parts were purchased at Menard's.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I love the way that would stove sets up in there.. looks great!!

I burn the ECO-BRICKS style in my fireplace at the house and love them... they burn really evenly, dont pop, and seem to have a lot of BTU's for the time that they burn.. relatively easy to start and small amount of ashes too..

is that Dashboard A/C in the front of your bus? i like the layout of your dash vents.. (old international scout style A/C vents)..

that bus looks super cool!!

-Christopher
Cadillackid, Thanks for the comment. Yes the eco bricks are so easy use and you can stack a ton in the cargo compartment. I wish the I had A/C lol, no those vents are for heat only... the bus is a 1988 Thomas 40ft Flat N. with 3208 turbo. Brad.