Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Under bus.. would you bother?

Would any of you bother cleaning this? How would you approach it and what would you use. Don't want to clean anything that's unnecessary and mess something up under there. Here's some pictures and a link to video

https://streamable.com/d1io6v

Edit: sorry for some of the images being grainy. Should have uploaded them to an external website
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20201101_184126.jpg   IMG_20201101_184016.jpg   IMG_20201101_183841.jpg   IMG_20201101_183705.jpg   IMG_20201101_183443_BURST14.jpg  

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
No harm in cleaning but before you go to town with the power washer you may want to look for any tell-tale signs of problems before you rinse them away and effectively ignore potential problems until they leave you stranded. For instance, I appreciate that my company is so diligent about this but when they found some oil on the engine oil pan they wanted to take it off the road and replace the oil pan gasket. It was using no oil and the accumulation was oil AND road grime over months so I asked to wash it off. I'd be due for an oil change in another month or so anyways and they could replace the seal then. The DD15 has 47 quarts of oil in it so believe me if it was leaking or burning significant oil I'd have known it! Now coolant on the other hand was a big issue. I was up to a gallon a week topping it off and they swapped some hoses only to have the entire radiator blow in less than 500 miles and cost twice as much for repairs on the road. So diligence is rewarded but not foolproof. Check for leaks and signs of wear, then wash off the crud.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Ditto on that. Then keep an eye on it all watching for leaks. In my world if it drips a drop on the drive it gets resealed but then I'd polish my slack adjusters if I had them.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Ditto on that. Then keep an eye on it all watching for leaks. In my world if it drips a drop on the drive it gets resealed but then I'd polish my slack adjusters if I had them.
Jack
I'd take it a step further and put in a new transmission and get some chrome bling under there ;)
Old 11-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins ISB
Those first two shots at the suspension. Actually somewhat of a good thing. Notice that little bump on the vertical piece? That is called a grease zirk, if you don't know what that is, I suggest you find out and squirt grease into it at defined interval. That is what the previous owner did to it, and that is what you see oozing out of the seals, which then collected dirt etc....
Bpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:06 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 8.3L / MD3060R
Rated Cap: 46
If you clean it, don't use a pressure washer. if you tear the boots, or they're already torn, you could wash the grease out and cause premature wear / failure.

It looks like that because it has been greased on a schedule. If you continue to maintain the bus properly, it will look like that again very quickly. I wouldn't clean it unless I needed to make repairs.
cntryby is offline   Reply With Quote