Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 11:24 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Pretty slick! You guys have amazing ideas. Now If I can figure out how the heck I am going to lift up those 10' sheets of 18 gauge on the bus on my lonesome...
I'm thinking the same thing about my roof raise, I'm wondering about using those suction cups they use to carry glass panels around. As long as I can get the metal up to and behind the rub rail that they are going to sit behind I'd be golden.
Shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:31 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I can not remember who, but someone recently added sheets to his raise all by himself. Creative use of cargo straps and 4x4's. Hmmm ... I will post a link IF I can remember.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Itís not through the floor. Itís through the C channel cross members.
I've been scratching my head on how to pull this one off. How do you get the nuts on the top of the all thread?

EDIT: Never mind, C channel goes to the forward or back. I was curious how people install this kind of thing in the c channel that turns up beneath the floor. The current plan is to hold off on sealing the floor until i finish my under bay storage so i can patch any new holes i need to make.
aswallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallie View Post
I've been scratching my head on how to pull this one off. How do you get the nuts on the top of the all thread?

EDIT: Never mind, C channel goes to the forward or back. I was curious how people install this kind of thing in the c channel that turns up beneath the floor. The current plan is to hold off on sealing the floor until i finish my under bay storage so i can patch any new holes i need to make.
Yeah, buses differ. At first I was going to hang them from the floor pan, but I then decided that would not be strong enough. So look at your installation a bit and figure what might work. Ask around here if you need help.

One thing that Iíve figured out for sure (especially here!) is that thereís always more than one way to do something and the slower I am at figuring something out, the better the result.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
So on YouTube is a couple BEadventure partners that is converting their bus. They are putting in their own underfloor storage which I think is a route I will most likely take. I have a steel supplier with really great prices and can weld. I figured I could get a decent amount of pass through storage for less than the stainless steel boxes I was looking at. Either way, I need to cut the sides open and still need to hang the boxes so this idea of pass through might be the way to go.

Found my Bus at AAAbus in Phx!
Bus'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
So on YouTube is a couple BEadventure partners that is converting their bus. They are putting in their own underfloor storage which I think is a route I will most likely take. I have a steel supplier with really great prices and can weld. I figured I could get a decent amount of pass through storage for less than the stainless steel boxes I was looking at. Either way, I need to cut the sides open and still need to hang the boxes so this idea of pass through might be the way to go.
I thought of making boxes, but then I thought about making proper doors so I got boxes. I thought about joining them together on the back with sheet metal. Iím still considering it.

Totally doable and cheaper if you weld.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
This is a ways off for me, but I'm planning on using piano hinges (which are surprisingly cheap at a steel supply place near me, about $1 a foot) to hinge all the skirts on my bus, and then I'll get some brackets that bolt to the chassis rails to build whatever kind of underbody storage I need, without having to worry about how it looks from the outside.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:30 PM   #28
Bus Geek

You mean to have the ENTIRE skirt hinged from front to back?
Old 10-19-2020, 05:41 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
You mean to have the ENTIRE skirt hinged from front to back?
Well, most of the skirt, yes. Mainly the sections on each side of the bus between the front and back wheels.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:35 AM   #30
Bus Geek

That makes sense. I *thought* that might be the case, but was not sure. However, it sure would make working on the tank on our bus much easier!
Old 10-20-2020, 05:28 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
That makes sense. I *thought* that might be the case, but was not sure. However, it sure would make working on the tank on our bus much easier!
OMG would it ever (and I never use "OMG"!). The number of times I've scraped my back on that damn skirt getting under the bus is in quadruple digits. Making them hinged for that reason alone would be worth it.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Use stainless steel piano hinges--you'll thank me later--and you're welcome.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #33
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: ISM 10.8L, B400R
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Well, most of the skirt, yes. Mainly the sections on each side of the bus between the front and back wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
OMG would it ever (and I never use "OMG"!). The number of times I've scraped my back on that damn skirt getting under the bus is in quadruple digits. Making them hinged for that reason alone would be worth it.
I have been thinking about hinging the skirt on my Gillig as well, but when propped up could double as a sturdy outside table. It would end up about 15ft worth on the curb side, perfect for a camp table.
JamesKS is offline   Reply With Quote