Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2022, 12:52 PM   #1

Urethane Alkyd Enamel paint quandary

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice on the best course of action for my skoolie paint job. I am NOT a painter, and I’m very ignorant on the chemistry behind paints. I thought I did enough research before starting my build, but I now realize I definitely did not.

After reading a bunch of threads here/reddit/etc, my wife and I decided to go with this Behr Urethane Alkyd Semi-Gloss Enamel because of color options and good reviews for durability.

Last month (over 30 days ago) we put on a coat of primer and two coats of the paint (no hardener), and we are very happy with the look. Our original plan was to spray on a clear coat, but after going down the CC rabbit hole I can’t find a product that will for-sure work with the urethane alkyd enamel we put on.

While I don’t want to have to re-paint in 2-3 years because my paint fades, I’d rather paint again in a few years than ruin my paint by putting on the wrong clear coat and have to re-paint immediately.

Here are my options. Any input from you all is appreciated.
  • COA1 – Do nothing. Enjoy the paint job while it lasts. We’ll just wax it as much as we can stomach.
  • COA2 – Spray one more coat of the behr paint, mixed with acrylic enamel hardener (I think that’s what I need) to protect the finish a bit more. The problem with this is that it’s been over a month since our last coat was applied, and I’m not sure how it will adhere.
  • COA3 – Spray on some kind of clear coat. I’d prefer this option, if someone can point me in the right direction. This post makes me think that waiting months before clear coating isn’t terrible: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/paint-19272.html

lagreex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:41 AM   #2

For the sake of updating:
After talking with some paint people, we are going with coa1 and just leaving it as-is.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
I missed your original post from a few weeks ago, but thanks for keeping us updated! What color(s) did you choose? And did you learn any tips or tricks that a soon-to-be bus painter like me could benefit from?

And congratulations on getting through the labyrinth of confusing painting choices! I'm still in the middle of this stage myself, and it is not easy to make a decision.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Sorry I missed your original post as well. Very few people have the expertise to know how to paint something the size of a school bus. I think you probably made the best decision. When I painted mine I was just happy to get it done - mostly.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
My understanding of paint is sketchy, but I believe the deeper the tint the less UV protection can be added, which explains why deeper tint paints tend to chalk or fade more quickly.

Whatever protective coat is applied, if it doesn't also protect from UV, it will only prevent marring or scratching, and not prevent fade or chalking.

I suspect that some clearcoats may appear to have 'failed' when in reality the UV degradation of the paint is the root cause.

Which is not to say there could also be an incompatibility between paints and clear coats as you not.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
What color(s) did you choose? And did you learn any tips or tricks that a soon-to-be bus painter like me could benefit from?
We went with seafoam green, with a white top. Hopefully this image posts right:

We were going for a 20 foot paint job, so we weren't worried about runs or orange peel. So I guess my tip is to not be picky
Old 06-26-2022, 12:17 PM   #7

Thanks all for the thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
What color(s) did you choose? And did you learn any tips or tricks that a soon-to-be bus painter like me could benefit from?
We went with seafoam green and a white top.

I don't have much patience for painting and don't mind drips and orange peel. I was mostly looking for a paint job that would look good from 20 feet away. So I guess my only tip is to manage your expectations according to your personality =)
Attached Thumbnails
buspic.jpg  
Old 06-26-2022, 01:05 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
"I was mostly looking for a paint job that would look good from 20 feet away."

Yep, and if anyone gets closer than that, they're either a friend or they're nosey.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreex1 View Post
I don't have much patience for painting and don't mind drips and orange peel. I was mostly looking for a paint job that would look good from 20 feet away. So I guess my only tip is to manage your expectations according to your personality =)
That looks great, though you DID take the picture from 20' away

Managing expectations is not a strength of mine, but I'll try to take your good advice to heart. Thanks!
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote