Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #21
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Something I've noticed on every bus build that I've seen. Everyone takes the time, effort, and expense to insulate as heavy as possible, but I have yet to see someone go to the extreme of better insulated windows. Being a GC and having extreme knowledge in the window field, I can tell you that windows are one of the weakest points for heat and A/C loss and noise control. In as much as I see people framing in for walls, and then keeping the "oh so air tight" bus windows, they don't realize that they can just as easily put in any kind of vinyl window. The average vinyl window frame is 3- 3 1/2 inches deep. They're available in single and double hung, awning, slider. From everything that I have seen as far as wall thickness(plus what ever is added in the build) there should be more than enough space to use such a window. Vinyl windows are extremely flexible, and as long as they are purchased with tempered glass, I see no reason for them to way outlast and out perform any aluminum frame, single pane, "might as well have a screen" bus window.

jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
In the last 24 hours, several people have contacted me with concerns about how some folk on this site interact.

To be honest, it's a little depressing. I came here because I wanted to build a Skoolie. Indeed, I am building a Skoolie and that journey will continue regardless.

There should be no "territory" here, no reason to not simply accept people's differences and revel in a joint enterprise.

This is a Forum, about School Buses. There are real problems in the world and none of them surround school buses.

I have views. I could go on for hours about politics, guns, religion and the rest of the hot-button issues. I don't do that here. I don't care what personal views people hold provided all they are discussing with me and others is the conversion of their bus. The site will run vastly more smoothly if we all leave our thoughts about the last President, or the current one, at the door, and if we refrain from forming cliques.

I resolve to remain out of it, and post about buses. If I am wrong then tell me I'm wrong, but you don't need "supporters" for your view, because I don't bite.

Is it really that hard to be nice to each other?

ps ... that was a thread-jack. If you want me to delete, I will.
thx twigg...i'm with you bud
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
Something I've noticed on every bus build that I've seen. Everyone takes the time, effort, and expense to insulate as heavy as possible, but I have yet to see someone go to the extreme of better insulated windows. Being a GC and having extreme knowledge in the window field, I can tell you that windows are one of the weakest points for heat and A/C loss and noise control. In as much as I see people framing in for walls, and then keeping the "oh so air tight" bus windows, they don't realize that they can just as easily put in any kind of vinyl window. The average vinyl window frame is 3- 3 1/2 inches deep. They're available in single and double hung, awning, slider. From everything that I have seen as far as wall thickness(plus what ever is added in the build) there should be more than enough space to use such a window. Vinyl windows are extremely flexible, and as long as they are purchased with tempered glass, I see no reason for them to way outlast and out perform any aluminum frame, single pane, "might as well have a screen" bus window.
house windows don't have the ability to handle the stresses related to a mobile application...RV windows are extremely expensive...3rd best option is to remove as many windows as possible and use thermal blankets for the rest

if I ever get to do my skoolie it'll be more to get into a "class A " w/o the cost...so for I can't even afford a skoolie so I can't never do a "class A"...and I won't be able to afford the best windows...

am I alone?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am still curious to hear from more folks who have first hand experience with vinyl windows in a bus.

Unless I hear some success stories I am going to use double pane RV windows and be conservative with the number and size.

I put lots of big, single pane RV windows in my last bus with the idea that I would be following good weather. I missed the mark at times and landed in Minneapolis in February and Las Vegas in August. There were times that I hated those windows. I wound up making inserts out of foam board and reflectix that I put in the windows during hot or cold weather.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I am still curious to hear from more folks who have first hand experience with vinyl windows in a bus.

Unless I hear some success stories I am going to use double pane RV windows and be conservative with the number and size.

I put lots of big, single pane RV windows in my last bus with the idea that I would be following good weather. I missed the mark at times and landed in Minneapolis in February and Las Vegas in August. There were times that I hated those windows. I wound up making inserts out of foam board and reflectix that I put in the windows during hot or cold weather.
Yep...windows...we can't live without them...and can't live with them...yet, houses existed before windows...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Our windows are very easy to adapt to double pane. So indeed on the inside I am going to add a lexan window at about 1/2 distance. It is going to be sealed but also removable. Should do better the the current solution. Not sure if home depot or Lowes will cut lexan to size because that would help.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #27
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
There's always this. I've been checking out various brands and they seem to be fairly well rated.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LDBPY2...v_ov_lig_dp_it
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Check ebay and craigslist for used double pane RV windows. I found three recently for $75. I couldn't get them before the next guy got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Our windows are very easy to adapt to double pane. So indeed on the inside I am going to add a lexan window at about 1/2 distance. It is going to be sealed but also removable. Should do better the the current solution. Not sure if home depot or Lowes will cut lexan to size because that would help.

Later J
They will not. Fortunately, I have found that glass shops are cheaper, even with cutting.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Cool thanks Ben, I never tried a glass shop for lexan . will check it out.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Cool thanks Ben, I never tried a glass shop for lexan . will check it out.

Later J
You're welcome and good luck.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote