Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #1
Skoolie

Verify tranny

I'm looking at this bus http://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/5345217601.html

It's close to where I live but the tags serial number says it's the at545 and he said the PO said it was a 643. Is it likely to have been swapped? Can I crawl underneath to verify somehow?

EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Yes, look here http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f33/ho...pecs-1641.html .

I'm thinking 4800 seems a little high, but I'm not sure what a p-pumped 24v engine is worth. Looks like a good bus though. What are your intentions with it? Off the grid house? Travel the country? Steel tent? That's what will determine if it's suitable for you. Unless you're taking it cross country, I wouldn't be overly concerned with it having an at545
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
The P pump is the better of the pumps. I doubt its a 643.

Not many miles on it, wonder how many hours?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

There should be a tag on the driver's side of the transmission case that will tell you which model transmission it is.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:18 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Ive never heard of a p-pumped 24v. IF that is what this bus has, then it would have to have been aftermarket setup and I dont see that in the pics.

I've also never seen a MT643 in a TC2000 (what that is).

That price seems about 800-2000 over retail. You need pics of the tires and the underside to know what's really going on. It's from Michigan. Ever hear of the rust belt? Things to think about.

There's a guy out here in CO who has a nice ford conventional for sale. He posts on here, includes 4 solar batteries, 12v 5.9 i think like 120k and all the seats out. Mt643. He wants $5k I could give you his contact if you're interested. His price is high to me, if you're only looking for a bus, but its a good headstart and a very good deal if you were going to buy the same things he did anyway. I have no interest in him selling it BTW just passing along info on another bus. Good luck! The scary part is almost over
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Ive never heard of a p-pumped 24v. IF that is what this bus has, then it would have to have been aftermarket setup and I dont see that in the pics.

I've also never seen a MT643 in a TC2000 (what that is).

That price seems about 800-2000 over retail. You need pics of the tires and the underside to know what's really going on. It's from Michigan. Ever hear of the rust belt? Things to think about.

There's a guy out here in CO who has a nice ford conventional for sale. He posts on here, includes 4 solar batteries, 12v 5.9 i think like 120k and all the seats out. Mt643. He wants $5k I could give you his contact if you're interested. His price is high to me, if you're only looking for a bus, but its a good headstart and a very good deal if you were going to buy the same things he did anyway. I have no interest in him selling it BTW just passing along info on another bus. Good luck! The scary part is almost over
Excellent post and advice.
The Michigan part is the scariest!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
That's my first thought, too. Looks like there are aftermarket conversion options that run a few thousand dollars but it does seem unlikely. Seems more likely the seller doesn't know what he has.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
Skoolie

I would be interested in that contact info. I figured I'd have to travel to get a good bus I'm just afraid of traveling that far to find out its too rusty or bad oil sample or something
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Send me a PM and I'll get his number. Looks like a good bus. Any used bus will be a bit of a gamble
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote