Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: SturdiVan
Chassis: Ford E-350
Engine: 7.3 IDI Navistar diesel
Rated Cap: 8
Vibration and electronics?

I've never been big on Black Friday madness, but Target has a deal on a 32" LCD HDTV for$246, that, if purchased, would be mounted in my short bus. I'm a little concerned about vibration though. I mainly drive in the city, where roads are less than perfect and vibration is a big issue. I'm concerned that over jostling of something like an LCD TV would eventually damage it. Are my concerns warranted? Should I just mount the **** out of it so that it can't move around whatsoever? Anybody have experience with this?

GoldenGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Vibration and electronics?

I don't have experience with this yet, so want to see answers from those that do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGate
Should I just mount the **** out of it so that it can't move around whatsoever?
I'd think you'd want to cushion the electronic component rather than solid mount it. A solid mount would immediately transfer all of the road damage to the component. I think of it like a "hard tail" bike (i.e. one without shock absorber on the rear tire). The bike may be solid and stable, but it will kick the crap outta yer backside going down a rough road!

It would be better to add some kind of "shock absorber" around the television, or put it on a mount that has some give to it (like a swivel mount?) so it won't get the full impact of that road that hasn't been resurfaced in the last decade!
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

hmm my flat screen computer monitor has travelled north, south, west, east with me for the last two years, sometimes in a box filled with extra clothes, sometimes duct taped to a desk. Works perfectly. Not that such is a gaurantee, just sharing my experience.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

My CRT TV only had an issue once. It turned into a black and white TV for a while thanks to a good bounce, but is fine now. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I honestly don't know what the best mount would be. My tv comes in and out of the bus and so I just strap it down firmly on a shelf. There is a huge discussion in the offroad community as we speak as to what is safer for drivers...hard plastic seats and 5 point harnesses that allow no movment or 5 point harnesses and suspension seats which slow down the shock. FWIW the faster a car goes, the more restricted your movement becomes for safety. Formula 1 cars basically allow wrist movement and that's it. The rest of the body is locked in solid.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: SturdiVan
Chassis: Ford E-350
Engine: 7.3 IDI Navistar diesel
Rated Cap: 8

I had a fairly large CRT in my bus in the past with no problems, but I got it for free and didn't really care if the road ruined it. An LCD would make me a bit more worried. The way I had the CRT mounted was screws through the base into the desk it was sitting on, then plumbers tape screwed directly into the case and then into the walls around it. I was very happy with this method, but unlike a CRT, the LCD wouldn't have a big hollow case that I could safely screw into.
GoldenGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

I have a 20 inch lcd tv that was wall mounted in my 19 foot rv (close to your shorty in size) for 8 months of continuous usage. It is now gonna be moved over to the bus. Not a single issue. Used a regular tiltable wallmount for it. An lcd is fairly strong. If it was a plasma or a CRT I would be more worried. But they use lcd's in gps units built for cars and trucks. In fact all those big beautiful screens they put in new car dashes are lcd. I was worried about it at first, but trust me, should be fine as long as your mount stays up. That ended up being the only thing that concerned me. Not that the bumps would hurt the tv, but that the bumps would make the mount fall and THAT would hurt the tv. Just mount it nice and strong and watch away.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Skoolie

No problems with our 26" Vizio. Been down lots of bumpy roads.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

I was thinking of using a swivel mount. Anybody use one? Do they hold up going down the road?
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

LCD TV on swivel wall mount (bad choice of mount... I'll not use a swivel mount again), LCD Computer monitor, Desktop computer, DVD player, full-timing since 2006. Traveled from SW NC to S GA (260 miles one way) several times, S GA back to NC several times, S GA to PCB, FL and return trip (400 miles)... did that once in the RV. SW NC to NE TN (130 miles) and returned... once. S GA to Chattanooga and back (520 miles)... once. Sw NC to Central NM (1600 miles), Central NM to Corpus Christi and back (1700 miles)... So that's over 5000 miles of bouncing down primary roads, rough interstates, in/out of campgrounds. All my electronics are good.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

will let you know, I also bought 2 19" tvs on black friday. Have swivel mounts and getting ready to install....one for each side of the bus
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I haven't got my skoolie yet, but I've been hauling all kind of electronics around in a semi for over a million miles including three trips to Anchorage and at times it gets pretty rough. I don't watch TV, but LCD computer moniters, computers, printers have all survived it all Nothing special for mounting, currently one bungee to hold the monitor back against a shelf when I'm moving.
I also have a trailer for my event photography business that has 4 computers, 4 monitors and 3 printers, all traveling quite nicely. One monitor is mounted solid using the mounting holes in the back the others are just strapped to the wall when traveling. The printers are large and heavy so I made corresponding holes to set the feet into and just run a strap over the top when traveling.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

32" LCD tv, 800,000 miles, still works.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

I'm just really having a hard time trying to figure out where I want to put the TV. My only concern with a swivel mount is it moving all over the place while going down the road. Can you lock these into a fixed position?
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote