Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Virginia: Changing title from bus

Hi! Anyone from Virginia who's willing to share how to switch title from bus to non-bus? Any tips?

Thanks!

BookBusVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Did you find one?
If the vehicle is a "Cutaway" style, (Ford, Chevy/GMC chassis), it can sometimes be registered as a van. If anything like NH, simply mention to the registration clerk that is a heavy duty wheelchair, (if so equipped), van. It was literally just that simple here. Maybe I got lucky?
Not sure how things are done in VA though...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Skoolie

Just register it as a bus for private use. This requires no cdl and shields fro high personal property taxes.
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1bus View Post
Just register it as a bus for private use. This requires no cdl and shields fro high personal property taxes.
In most states, if the GRVW is over 26k pounds or will seat 16 or more, a CDL would be required.

Many states exempt RV's from the CDL requirement if it is 26k or more. If you title your bus as an RV this would apply to you

As far as I can tell from a few minutes of poking around their website, Virginia is one of those states.

When your conversion is completed, RV insurance is generally much cheaper than commercial for personal.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
In addition to Steve's insights, also remember that many dognose skoolies, are, in fact, 3-ton / 4-ton truck chassis with bus bodies, and as such, can likely be retitled as a truck or van once the seats are removed (for the duration of the conversion, if they won't re-classify as RV without the conversion done). I believe Virginia DMV requires an appointment with a Virginia State Police trooper to verify the that vehicle can no longer be used as a bus. This may require verification of the VIN number. I live in Virginia, and used to own such a bus, but I never actually got the title re-classified (my usage at the time was a bit out of the ordinary and I wound up getting rid of it before I could effect a conversion).
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #6
Skoolie

My bus is 31k pounds as per the title. I manage a Facebook group “tidewater skoolies” we have several buses (~10ish)in the group. Everyone is a bus for private use not requiring a CDL. Insurance for most of us is ~$200-300/6months. Taxes on an rv pusher would go way over the any insurance difference.

The only way it MIGHT be worth it to register as a RV is for full coverage insurance or taking the bus to Mexico.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
My bus is 31k pounds as per the title. I manage a Facebook group “tidewater skoolies” we have several buses (~10ish)in the group. Everyone is a bus for private use not requiring a CDL. Insurance for most of us is ~$200-300/6months. Taxes on an rv pusher would go way over the any insurance difference.

The only way it MIGHT be worth it to register as a RV is for full coverage insurance or taking the bus to Mexico.

Things vary state to state.

Here in WA if it weighs 31k, and is NOT registered as an RV, you will be required to have a cdl.

"taxes on an RV pusher"??? Not sure what you mean there. We pay sales tax based on purchase price. What kind or size of vehicle has no effect on tax amount. Solely based on purchase price.

Here in WA a commercial for personal policy costs me twice as what an RV policy costs. Annual registration is significantly cheaper if it is an RV as well.

Again, things vary by state.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Things vary state to state.

Here in WA if it weighs 31k, and is NOT registered as an RV, you will be required to have a cdl.

"taxes on an RV pusher"??? Not sure what you mean there. We pay sales tax based on purchase price. What kind or size of vehicle has no effect on tax amount. Solely based on purchase price.

Here in WA a commercial for personal policy costs me twice as what an RV policy costs. Annual registration is significantly cheaper if it is an RV as well.

Again, things vary by state.

We have annual personal property taxes in VA, as in you pay a yearly percentage of what your vehicles are worth. So a diesel pusher rv is worth a lot more than than a retired which means you pay way more for an rv than a crappy bus(in the eyes of the state).
Old 07-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
We have annual personal property taxes in VA, as in you pay a yearly percentage of what your vehicles are worth. So a diesel pusher rv is worth a lot more than than a retired which means you pay way more for an rv than a crappy bus(in the eyes of the state).
I see....

We pay property tax on real property such as a house or land. Not on our vehicles.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for everyone!
BookBusVA is offline   Reply With Quote