Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2022, 11:39 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Wall Framing

Hey everybody, I'm about to start framing my walls. Wanted to know what everybody is doing or has done for wall framing. Seems like the general consensus is horizontal runs usually 1x4. I have seen 1x4 and 2x4 and recently 2x3 being used. I was thinking horizontal runs at floor level, couch seat level, bottom of window (same as counter and back of couch), and top of window. As far as material, I was thinking 2x4 for a few reasons. First, strength to anchor things like couch and cabinets. Second, I was going to recess 1x4s vertically into the horizontal 2x4s at the point where my wall seams meet for extra support. Third, the 2x4 clears the chair rail whereas the 1x4 does not. Anyway...just wanted to see what you were all doing and try to get some tips and advice before I just jump in trying to "reinvent the wheel". Thanks for any input, look forward to hearing what is being done out in skoolie world!

bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:10 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
For the side walls, I ripped 2 x 4 down to 1 inch, making furring strips that were 1" x 1-1/2" x 18".(1" was the depth of the seat support rail running the length of the bus.) Pre-drilled then attached with "wood to metal" self drilling screws into the ribs which are in between each window. There were a couple places where my wall covering material ended midway under a window, that metal is thin, I used the same furring strips but attached them with regular sheet metal screws which have much coarser threads.
For interior wall framing, I used 2x4 that I attached to the floor with a cleat,(made some of my own, bought some from Lowes) The top of these 2x4's are attached to the roof rib with a carriage bolt. I did have 1 place where the top of the 2x4 didn't meet a rib. For that situation, you can span the distance between 2 ribs with a 2x4 then attach to that. I posted pictures in my build thread.
Liability disclaimer; I am NOT a structural engineer, my bus hasn't left my driveway since my I bought it so I don't know how all this will work out 10,000 miles from now.

Use the search window on this site, type in "attaching walls", you'll get a bunch of ideas from a lot of people who have already traveled this road.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, framing, wall