Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16
Re: Wall Framing Issue

We had the same issue. Look at our conversion & you'll see. We cut most of it off with a wheel grinder.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

i like the more insulation method.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Our seat rail is about1" deep. We are skinning over the windows with sheet metal with 1" R5 Owens-Corning (think pink) Foam sheathing glued to the metal. We will allow a 1/2" spacer (scrap foam) for "dead space". Then we are gluing sheathing over the existing interior metal panels with 1" R5 Owens-Corning Foam sheathing. This will end up flush with the metal seat rail. Then we will glue 1/4" underlayment (moisture resistant) plywood. The plywood will be painted with interior latex paint (with a mildewcide added to the paint).

What we are using:
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053 Foam sheathing

http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Comp...3#BVRRWidgetID Underlayment

BTW, Dow's website states
Quote:
"STYROFOAM™ Brand Residential Sheathing is an extruded polystyrene foam board with plastic film facers on both sides to reduce job site damage to the insulation boards. In new construction and residing applications, it provides a level, even surface for the exterior sheathing and for new siding material, plus helps enhance energy efficiency, reduce condensation and create an attractive, long-lasting home exterior."
and it also has an R-value of 5 per inch..... it's BLUE.

To make things even more confusing DOW also make extruded Polyisocyanurate under the names :
Styrofoam SIS
Tuff-R
Super Tuff-R
Thermax
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla
... Lorna, what do you mean by "dead space"? ...
"Dead air" space is a great insulator. We will have a 1/2" gap between the foam on the window skins and the foam on the walls. We will glue blocks of 1/2" foam between the two layers of foam to give the wall foam and the window skin foam a bit of support.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I am sure this has been covered in the post prior so please forgive me as I am new to the site and new to schoolies....

Is there any benifit or detriment to removing panels and having spray insulation put in? I have been looking at the form for this information and havent seen too much. This is one of the more important aspects for me as my bus will be used for a tailgate wagon/party bus and would like for cool comforts to be there as much as possible during the hot months here in Texas. It probably wont be used much in the winter so keeping it warm is not super high on the list.

I dont mind spending money in this area as the returns are huge.

Thanks in advance for the replies and information.

Bapos
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

I used that seat ridge as a means of creating an architectural feature on my wall AND providing a wiring chase. Here is a picture of how it works: http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... 4/album25/

This gave me space to hide wiring behind the baseboard, and also enough space for electrical outlets along the wall. What space behind the baseboard/chase is not used for wiring is filled with 3/4" styrofoam board.

I built my wall panels directly on the interior walls of the bus above the baseboard/chase.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Ascend

Thanks for the info. I am somewhat familuar with the process of it and have been reading on the internet about it. I for some reason thought the density of it was or had more R value that regular board foam per inch kind of a thing. I am sure it would go faster being sprayed but the other end of it is you have to clean and trim it so your final materail can be placed on top of it? I am fine with the board materail so no issues there.

I am going to be picking up my bus next weekend and have been really pondering how and what I am going to do. Since ours is going to be more of a tailgate wagon/ Party bus I want the interior to be as comfortable as possible and get the best bang for the buck as it will only be used during the warmer months in Texas.

Currently the plan is to do the sides and the over head? Any thoughts on this plan of action? It currently has one roof RV AC on it and I am going to see how that one works. If it needs more I will put a second one in. I HATE Texas summers so I do not mind spending the money to run the ac's, getting a Gennie to run them, and spending the fuel to power it. As said this is a weekend warrior thing not a full time rig....

As with most people I am sure they are reading on this place to avoid issues and save time and money. So any thoughts on all of this please let me know. For the record this bus is a 1983 GMC Ward bus. I am not sure of the seating capacity as they have been all taken out but I am going to guess its around 60 or so. Comments and input are always welcomed.

Bapos
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #8

Be careful when doing framing. conversion must be done with the help of expert. I met with a terrible accident due to poor framing
Arnoldra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #9

Be careful when doing conversions. I met with terrible accident due to a poor framing. pls hire a expert for your conversion.
Arnoldra is offline   Reply With Quote