Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2022, 05:43 PM   #1

Wall Removal?

Hello first timer.

I am trying to remove the walls from a 2004 International half bus.

How do you take the walls off without messing up the windows?

Floor are out, I am debating the wall and the ceiling.

While I was removing the worst spot (and almost only rust spot) that was near my heater, so I assumed that was the cause. Then I started looking and I think it is coming from the window. . I am NOT trying to take the windows out.

I started to unscrew the walls to investigate assuming that they would just pop out from under the metal layer between the window and wall. It did not. It seems to be glued or screwed under those metal strips.

The strips seems to be sealed to the window. I am afraid to rip off those metal strips and mess up the seals on the windows.

How do you guys get these walls off and not mess up the window?

Abz Stract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Welcome

Welcome to skoolie.net!

Wise of you to consult our group before entering a tug-of-war match. (you'd loose).

The interior panel folds 90° under the window then again 90° up. Joins the exterior panel and rub rail. All three are riveted together as one. (Older models are have the lip inside, but still joined to the exterior.)

Cut the wall steel (inch or more) below the window. Pry/peel away from the sealant & remove.

Walls easier than floors. Ceiling absolute easiest. (IC uses 'Pozidriv' screws & sealant).

Resealing windows was simple, cheap and provided the most gains. An old lady with no construction experience resealed ours.

Are you familiar with the one-and-half inch (convection) gap over the top of each window frame?

For more details, please skim through my Interior Demo & Mod Albulm (cracks, codes & cheats, hidden in the photo descriptions)
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:18 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Those metal ceiling panels are not light. My has rivets and I would knock out the last rivet while dodging the panel coming down. If you try to let it down by one side the other side will come down with some force.
Harbor freight has a 2 Ton Capacity Underhoist Safety Stand and for 90 bucks is cheaper than going to the hospital. Plus if you are doing a roof raise it is well worth it
Byrd Scheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 09:05 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
I just used the manual process of a hammer and a chisel. It sounds bad but it was not really. My wife is 5' 2" and she worked on the ceiling some too. The walls were the same process just not over head. just remember if you use a grinder cover your windows other wise the sparks can stick to the glass and are very hard or impossible remove the spots made.
Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demolition, how-to, removing walls, walls