Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2024, 10:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward - Volunteer
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466, Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 8 Window
Ward Chair Rail question

Ok, so I had full intention to leave the chair rail based on the plethora of posts regarding structural stability. Now I have a perceived problem.

Maybe I missed it on other posts and videos but I thought the chair rail was more of an angle iron piece. What I found was the sheet metal that comes up from the floor is simply folded over to make the chair rail. You can see the double thickness in bolt hole. Single thickness up the wall and folded so it's double thick for the chair rail. I can't see it but suspect it has a third fold going behind the upper sheet metal a few inches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240624_190725[1].jpg
Views:	6
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	78030

My problem. How do you insulate this? I can spray, stuff, infill, etc. Lots of options but what about thermal bridging? This takes my overall insulation from 3" to 1-1/2". for this bottom 14" section.

What do all you pros think about removing it and replacing it with 1x2 angle. On the upside the angle iron is heavier duty, help me think of downsides before I rip into it.

Thanks

Miloshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 11:52 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward - Volunteer
Engine: DT466, Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 8 Window
Found an old thread with good info. Sounds like this is how they all are built and it's still better to leave it in place.
Miloshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 11:21 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloshk View Post
Found an old thread with good info. Sounds like this is how they all are built and it's still better to leave it in place.
If your dead set on needing more insulation in that lower part of the wall, just drill some strategic holes, then you can use some canned spray foam in the cavity to help insulate the void.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 11:10 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Not worth the effort usually. I also want to use my chair rail to mount desks/couches, walls to as added support. Just spray foam behind it to fill it in and it will be sufficient. Do you lose some R value? Only minuscule amounts. You'll get more benefits out of it using it as a support structure than you'll lose in temps.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote