Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

Washer/Dryer? What are you all doing?

The wife says she wants to do laundry on the road. Seeing as the plan is to be on the road for approximately a year, I kinda see her point. She's thinking about a combination unit, vented. Does anyone know how much power these things use? We are thinking about going solar for power. Any thoughts?

Ray9734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Power and water will be the issue. Unless your hooked to shore power and water, this is going to be a challenge.

Space wise, combo units can be found that stack the dryer on top of the washer taking little space.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:48 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Splendide Laundry Centers - Compare All Combo Washer-Dryer Models
These things are spend but its a washer dryer all in one device, they will wash and dry a 5 gallon buckets worth of clothes in a go. I had something like this when I lived in Russia. Here in the US you only find them for RVs and they are about $1200 new so keep your eye out for a used one. Currently I have a small Haier 1.0 Cubic Foot Portable Washing Machine - Walmart.com It is nosiey as a jack hammer when it gets out of balance, which is often. They also make one of these Haier Portable Companion Electric Vented Dryer, HLP141E - Walmart.com. They have the pair on a deal http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-1.0-...undle/29700371
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:41 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Since we are doing a 40' build we designed our floor plan with a full sized washer/dryer combo, not stacked. We plan on shore hook-ups after we finish the build to support the machines. As far a solar is concerned, regular machines will drain the system quickly. We plan on using either shore power or a genset to power them. Our solar plans are for low energy use items such as LED powered lights and so on...

Just sayin'.......

M1031
Old 09-06-2015, 05:53 AM   #5
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
every town has a laundomat.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
Splendide Laundry Centers - Compare All Combo Washer-Dryer Models
These things are spend but its a washer dryer all in one device, they will wash and dry a 5 gallon buckets worth of clothes in a go. I had something like this when I lived in Russia. Here in the US you only find them for RVs and they are about $1200 new so keep your eye out for a used one. Currently I have a small Haier 1.0 Cubic Foot Portable Washing Machine - Walmart.com It is nosiey as a jack hammer when it gets out of balance, which is often. They also make one of these Haier Portable Companion Electric Vented Dryer, HLP141E - Walmart.com. They have the pair on a deal Haier 1.0 Cubic Foot Portable Washing Machine with Electric Dryer Value Bundle - Walmart.com
I got a free combo unit out of a Class A motorhome.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
from the all the rv forums that I have been reading the splendide (vented) washer/dryer combo seems to be the favorite, others have a stack washer dryer.
For now Laundromats are all around. later on I think I will be adding a splendide combo.
gbstewart
Old 09-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Pretty sure thats the unit I have. Mine is vented.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies. We are looking at a combo washer/dryer unit. And according to the wife, we'll be staying in Friends driveways and some campgrounds. Thanks for the reply on the solar, we are looking at a 38' Crown an was thinking about covering the roof in some flexible panels the wife pinned. I have a lot to learn. Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Oh no you didn't just bring up solar, that is like, a Catholic vs Protestant debate in north Ireland. The flexible ones look better but in the long run are a worse investment as they have a shorter lifespan and simply cannot out put near as much as good old glass panels pointed south.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #11

After I typed that we kinda figured it out about the flexible panels. And the bus we are thinking about getting has a somewhat flat roof.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Yeah I really like the idea of flexible panels I just don't think they are there yet... maybe in the future. Just like lithium batteries, too new (and expensive) to rely on for what we want them for. Give them both 10 years.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
Yeah I really like the idea of flexible panels I just don't think they are there yet... maybe in the future. Just like lithium batteries, too new (and expensive) to rely on for what we want them for. Give them both 10 years.
lithium batteries are here and now, the price is fair, and they are ready to be used.

No need to wait 10 years.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-07-2015, 03:45 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Nat,

Not arguing, but lithium batteries in an rv bank aren't cost efficient for the big ones. Especially if they try to create a big battery bank in what they are looking to do off grid. 600 amp hours would be roughly 4 of these bad boys and they are $1900 a piece.

12V 150AH Lithium Ion Battery | Chargers and Voltmeters | Smart Battery - Products

It would be cheaper to drive to a laundromat on a scooter 4 or 5 times with only a backpack full of clothes each trip!!!

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
Nat,

Not arguing, but lithium batteries in an rv bank aren't cost efficient for the big ones. Especially if they try to create a big battery bank in what they are looking to do off grid. 600 amp hours would be roughly 4 of these bad boys and they are $1900 a piece.

12V 150AH Lithium Ion Battery | Chargers and Voltmeters | Smart Battery - Products

It would be cheaper to drive to a laundromat on a scooter 4 or 5 times with only a backpack full of clothes each trip!!!

-Doc
Scooters rule!
Old 09-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Lithiums have some heat issues that need to be sorted out for long term daily use, and probably need to be set up in an array that the current solar equipment isn't optimized for and they are SOOOOO much more expensive for not that great of a benefit. I don't think you are going to notice a benefit until you get above 48v and probably not until you get into the hundreds of volts. once Tesla sorts out their home system then we can all abuse them for our rigs, till then I'll stick to the golf cart batteries.
Also damaged Lead acid batteries are probably not going to start a fire in you skoolie the same can't really be said of lithiums I don't want a blow out to burn my house down (yes I know there are 2 kinds of lithium batteries and the big ones are safer but still quite volatile).

And yes it would be cheaper to scooter in your laundry, but then you at a laundromat, and since you drove there you can't get drunk while doing laundry.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #17
Bus Geek

You guys are trying to build battery's way bigger than necessary.

Head on over to the DIY electric car sites. That's where the real info to learn about lithium battery's can be found.

And for the record, we can already buy solar and wind charge controllers set up for lifepo4 battery chemistry.

Large load items in a well built system don't run off the battery's. The inverter triggers the generator to start, protecting the battery's from complete discharge, and to fast of discharge (C rating).

The inverter I will be using can share a low voltage AC input (As low as 60 volts AC from long power cord loss), power from the battery bank, and input from the generator all at the same time to provide high current spikes for things like welding, ect.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I just bought my wife a rock & a wash board
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne