Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Washing a bus at a car wash?

I'm planning to take my bus to one of those do-it-yourself car wash bays (after I check to make sure my bus will fit). I mainly want to wash the underside of its accumulated dirt and grim before I start de-rusting - is there anything on the underside that I need to be worried about not hurting, or can I just spray away?

Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
I washed mine at a self serve car wash. JUST BARELY fit in the bay. The next time I did it I just pulled it along side the bay and stretched the wand and brush outside. Then got back in the bus and turned it around to get the other side.
Jsneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I'm planning to take my bus to one of those do-it-yourself car wash bays (after I check to make sure my bus will fit). I mainly want to wash the underside of its accumulated dirt and grim before I start de-rusting - is there anything on the underside that I need to be worried about not hurting, or can I just spray away?

a truck wash would be set up to serve you better - before you use the brush though, check that some a-hole didn't fill it with grease before you use it - happened to me one time - some of the car washes around here also have an outside wand for larger vehicles
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Our local self service car wash does not allow anything larger than a 3/4 ton pickup.

You may want to check yours before taking the bus down?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:16 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66pax
Been there, done that. It was a bit of a tight squeeze as the hose was mounted on the ceiling - had to be careful pulling in.

CincinnatiNKYBuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
Bus Geek

I've found one near me with a clearance of 10'4" which I think will be just barely tall enough. The place I use for my car is only 9' high which of course wouldn't work, although since I'm only going to be cleaning the back end initially I might be able to back up to it and work it that way.

I did find a use for the place when I was resetting my windows. I would take batches of the stripped windows to the car wash in my dad's SUV and give them a thorough cleaning there, something that would have been impossible at home or where my bus is parked, before putting them back in the bus.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my DEV bus which sits on 11R's and is a high headroom carpenter bus sits at 10'6" which includes the hatch and strobe..

I wash my busses in car washes all the time.. my red shorty I pull in my driveway at home and wash..

its tough to get a good solid cheap wash at a pay N spray.. I do a decent job and end up spending about 15-20 bucks on the machine.. most pay N spray hoses arent long enough to reach around a whole bus so it involves some back N forth to get it all done..

when I go to my favorite 24 hour full service truck wash in town they charge me around 35 bucks and i tip the bay guys a 10 spot every time.. and what I get is a sparkling clean bus... I hop on the freeway and run it up to 65 to dry it off and its ready to rock!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my DEV bus which sits on 11R's and is a high headroom carpenter bus sits at 10'6" which includes the hatch and strobe..

I wash my busses in car washes all the time.. my red shorty I pull in my driveway at home and wash..

its tough to get a good solid cheap wash at a pay N spray.. I do a decent job and end up spending about 15-20 bucks on the machine.. most pay N spray hoses arent long enough to reach around a whole bus so it involves some back N forth to get it all done..

when I go to my favorite 24 hour full service truck wash in town they charge me around 35 bucks and i tip the bay guys a 10 spot every time.. and what I get is a sparkling clean bus... I hop on the freeway and run it up to 65 to dry it off and its ready to rock!
-Christopher

I have seen a couple of pay and spray that had one tall bay, for oversized vehicles, with stairs to a catwalk so you could get the roof. You might check around and see if there is one in your area.

Our local hand wash charges me $70 to wash my pickup and they do a lousy job.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 65?
If you know someone with a pressure washer it would be easier? Lol maybe make more work for yourself and rent one for a side job, charge enough to cover the rental and some extra change?
Stuntmanmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
PNW look for a truck wash not a local hand wash.. place that does Reefer washouts and what not... those guys usually charge a much better rate than a full service handwash
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmanmitch View Post
If you know someone with a pressure washer it would be easier? Lol maybe make more work for yourself and rent one for a side job, charge enough to cover the rental and some extra change?
My brother has a pressure washer but I don't want to leave the contents of my underside on his driveway.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
PNW look for a truck wash not a local hand wash.. place that does Reefer washouts and what not... those guys usually charge a much better rate than a full service handwash
I have. The nearest one is about 70 miles away.

I am in a very rural setting. We are not entirely backwards, we do have one stoplight in the county.