Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2022, 07:48 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I just don't see how a regular dishwasher can use less water (and I don't trust them to get things clean anyway, I REALLY inspect) than hand washing if you hand wash with the idea of conservation.

A small tub with soapy water, placed in the sink. biggest pot washed first and subsequent washed items go into that pot and are then rinsed with the rinse water going into the pot. When finished the pot just needs a quick rinse and you've used MAYBE 3 gallons of water for a days dishes even if you eat three meals a day and use plates that have to be washed. We use paper plates because.... we hate doing dishes, water is always at a premium, and they can be burned to reduce trash volume.

So how much does a dishwasher use? The legal requirement is 5 gallons (or less) and online sources say some use as little as 3..... don't forget all the electricity. On the other hand, as mentioned, they are a handy place to securely store your dishes.
We may install one but if we are going for max duration boondocking we'll be using paper plates and wooden disposable utensils (all to be burned in the wood stove or the camp fire).
Now if testing of the real world conditions water reclamation system shows reclaimed water to be potable..... A dishwasher would be awesome.

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 01:39 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I dont live in a bus but in my house if something isnt dishwasher safe I dont own it.. or its disposable..

in the dishwasher go my pots, pans, plates, cups, forks, spatulas, knives, espresso Machine parts, spoons, mixer beaters, cookie sheets, Pizza cutters, cutting boards.. tupperware, and anything else I can find in the kitchen thats not clean. even the sponges go in the dishwasher..

a Roomba Vacuums my floors.. I want a Braava electronic Mop but my roomie thinks it will suck so he insists on mopping the floors.. Dust is my biggest issue in the house (and in the bus) since I open the windows all the time in the spring / summer / fall even the electronic air cleaner cant eat up the dust in the house.. the fireplace probably makes up for in winter what the windows dont.. in my busses dust is always.. even if they are parked and not driven the insides get dusty... they are under a roof and shielded from wind.. but still get dusty inside..

maybe I need a Dusting drone with a swifter to dust my house.. (might be fiun to play with the cat too)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
a Roomba Vacuums my floors..

Hmmmm would a roomba work in a bus with smooth floors (hardwood, fake hardwood, vinyl, etc.)?
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 03-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Hmmmm would a roomba work in a bus with smooth floors (hardwood, fake hardwood, vinyl, etc.)?

I put the roomba in my bus that has seats and it took a total of 49 seconds befire it was stuck under a seat and couldnt find its way out..

im guessing if you have the typical open galley floorplan it can do OK. things with legs tend to confuse roombas.. they try and go around and inside every bit of floor they can reach.. cords and wires will hang one up.. ie if it goes under your computer desk and hits a cord it will probably stop.. it wont tear up the cord amazingly..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:55 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Ahh the GF just said we don't need a roomba but now she's leaning towards a built in dishwasher.

Tags
dishes, dishwasher, hand washing dishes, kitchen build