Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
Skoolie

Watch your tail, got my bus stuck

So, I am currently working on converting my bus to an RV, I have quite a bit done, but now need to save a little more money for a few items. My daughter also has a bus and we are converting that one into a tiny house for her to live in. We have her bus parked at a family friends house due to only one spot at my house.
We, Sunday I had to swap them to start pulling the seats out of her bus. I got her bus home just fine, but when I went to bring my bus back to the property I got it stuck.
The road that goes up to the property is steep. And the turn is very tight because it is not 90 degrees, but doubles back at about 45 degrees. I swung the bus as wide as I could, but was trying to get off the road and it did not work. The tires dropped into a small depression in the road allowing the tail to drop and hit the road as the nose went up the road. Bad scrape and then no forward movement. I tried to back up, but the RR tire was just barely touching the ground. Worst part was I was blocking half of the road, a somewhat busy road.
I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked.
I finally walked over to a trailer park and talked a guy into using his truck to pull me back a few feet.
It took three tries and a broken tow strap, but we were able to pull it back just enough for the tires to grab and pull itself out.
After I got it out, I went around the block and approached it from the other direction and had no issues.
Lesson learned, watch the tail, it will drag and you will get stuck.

Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...

Then I got to back up 3 miles so I could turn around.

T-shirts available for $16.95.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:14 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

I once got a motorcoach stuck in a flat parking lot. The parking lot had a lot of sloping panels that directed any runoff to drains. I made the mistake of parking with the drive axle over one of the drains.

When I went to go there wasn't enough weight on the drive axle to go anywhere. The one drive wheel just spun.

Unfortunately, I had to get a tow truck to pull me back ten feet.

That particular bus didn't have any dump valves that would have taken the pressure off of the tag axle. If I could have done that I could have been out of there in just a few minutes.

I have quite a collection of T-shirts denoting experiences that are better learned from others rather than yourself. Mostly because they show how dim witted I can be.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote