Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #1

Water Heater Options

Hello, I'm a new guy. I've recently purchased an Amtran bus that's about 75% converted. I'm about to finish plumbing and I'm looking for recommendations for a tankless water heater. I'm on a tight budget and I'm hoping to find the best bang for the buck. Can anyone offer some insight?

I've scrolled through the threads and haven't found anything on this topic, my apologies if I've missed something.

Thanks!

Eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: TBD
My understanding is that if you use a residential instant water heater they work fine as long as you're attached to Shore Water and power. I've heard that they don't work so well off grid due to the water pump of the RV being not quite enough to switch them on (I don't have any experience with this it's just what one of the techs told me when I worked at an RV dealership). There are some propane powered water heaters made for camping but they have to be ventilated to the outside world. Check the reviews of the product as some of the ones I've seen on Amazon people have claimed that they have caught fire. The other issue that I've heard of with some of the instant water heaters is that replacement parts can be near impossible to find so I would double check to make sure that's something like the main board can be purchased for whatever water heater you go with. if you plan on doing a lot of off-grid camping my opinion is that a traditional RV water heater is a more reliable option. They work very similar to a house water heater and I believe the thermocouples and other parts can be easily found. the other thing that I like about using a traditional water heater is that it would stop me from taking 30 to 40 minute showers and wasting precious water. The downside to a traditional water heater is that it will use more propane in the long run maintaining its own water temperature when hot water is not actually in use. Just my 2 Cents.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800 Carpenter
Engine: DT360 / AT545
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eroc View Post
Hello, I'm a new guy. I've recently purchased an Amtran bus that's about 75% converted. I'm about to finish plumbing and I'm looking for recommendations for a tankless water heater. I'm on a tight budget and I'm hoping to find the best bang for the buck. Can anyone offer some insight?

I've scrolled through the threads and haven't found anything on this topic, my apologies if I've missed something.

Thanks!
Recent topic on the subject:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f50/ta...ons-23157.html
oredigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tankless water heater, water heater