Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

water tank above head height

Hi skoolies,

I'm building a housetruck and want to install a round, upright 75 or 100L water tank above head height (it's for drinking water and is gravity fed). I was going to put it in the centre of the truck, but behind the back axle by about 2metres (9.3m, 10 tonne truck, with a 4.85m wheelbase). The tank isn't baffled but it is higher than it is wide (460W and 550 or 690H) so I don't think water movement will be such an issue. I have a grey water tank (200L) and a freshwater tank (180L) under the deck one each side of the truck and between the axles. I could probably do with more weight under the deck, relative to what is in the house.

(sorry for all the metrics!)

Does this sound like an issue with weight and being top-heavy, or too far behind the back axle? Are there rules of thumb for working things like this out?

I thought it was ok, but now I've written this out 75 or 100 kg sounds like alot. I could go to a 50L/50kg tank...

kouka2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: water tank above head height

On skoolies we don't worry about a couple of hundred pounds. Put it where you want .
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

The weight being that far back should not be a problem. Look at the data plate for the bus, and the front axle/rear axle weights. The rear axle with duallies should be rated to support a lot more weight than the front. Putting the weight behind the rear axle tends to take weight off of the steer axle, so steering would be lighter, but resistance to cross-winds might go down some as a result.

If you really want to get picky about it, calculate center of gravity like an airplane pilot. Pick a "station" to measure distance from (firewall, front axle, rear axle, front bumper, etc.) and calculate the desired center of gravity for a full load. I haven't done it with a bus, but with some head scratching it should be possible. Then have the bus weighed empty by axle or by wheel, and calculate the actual center of gravity you are starting with. The difference between the empty and the maximum would tell you where the load weight should be placed.

Or else don't sweat it. As far as being top-heavy, as long as you drive cautiously like Grandma, and aren't trying to take corners like Mario Andretti (Danica Patrick?), there should not be a problem. I think some skoolies have transported water barrels on roof decks.

You are already aware that a "smooth bore" tank will have some sloshing and delayed weight shifts as compared to a baffled tank. As long as you plan your stops and corners a little bit, you should be fine. Smooth bore milk tankers roll down the interstates every day.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

20 gallons and 20" high? Heck it's only about 160 pounds or so - imagine a passenger seat where you intend to put your water tank.
Think it would change anything if someone sat in it?

Tom
Old 12-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

the really really old skoolies use feet, inches, and pounds, for measurement
Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
the really really old skoolies use feet, inches, and pounds, for measurement
Yup - can't teach an old dog new klicks ... er ... tricks.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Many of the freshmen in college when i taught basic math, had little conception of the metric system, and even less of reading the text....
Old 12-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks everyone, that's put my mind at ease. I do drive like a granny normally, but also have a tendancy to drive in some rougher places where the ground is uneven (so the truck sways from side to side alot) and the truck is fairly top heavy (I'm guessing the centre of gravity is higher in the truck than in most buses. The top of the deck is 1040mm from the ground. Plus I have a timber-framed corrugated steel roof).
Old 12-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I'm in New Zealand John, and know Mr Sharkey's site, it's very cool. I think a NZer is running the forum now (haven't figured out the login since they moved the forum though).