Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Waterproofing identification lamps / clearance lights?

I need to replace my identification lamps (the three little lights top middle, amber in the front and red in the back). I bought two sets of three little LED lights from a local truck parts store for this (basically this style: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...n/B168-18.html), but although they come with gaskets I can't seem to install them in a way that is watertight (either the center opening or one of the two holes for the screws ends up allowing water in). I could probably glop them up with seam sealer, but I want to be able to install the lights now and then remove them later when I paint. Are there any tricks to getting lights like this to be watertight?

I'm also thinking of trying these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...connector/604/ since I could mount these directly over where my original lights were. I would only need one through-hole for the two wires (I'd use rivnuts for the two mounting screws), but how do I make this hole watertight with two wires going through it? I've seen the grommets with the sort of triangle things on the inside, but those don't seem to work completely.

Is there some sort of a waterproof socket that can be run through the bus skin underneath a light like this? Such that I could just plug this light in from the outside and wire the inside to the circuit, and then just unplug and unscrew the bar to paint?

Is something like this with a grommet: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...or-1-led/5707/ actually watertight?

Any other ideas on a good way to do this?

Old 10-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
This is where I am at too. I'm patching those old holes and will make new holes nearby because there was just enough leakage around the old lights to have rust on some of the screws. So I think it's best to have new holes at the same time as new lights.
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
This is where I am at too. I'm patching those old holes and will make new holes nearby because there was just enough leakage around the old lights to have rust on some of the screws. So I think it's best to have new holes at the same time as new lights.
Yeah, I've already removed the old lights and patched over the holes since I couldn't find any drop-in replacements for them. I kind of like the light bar things because it's only one small hole through to the inside.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I wonder if a connection like this would be waterproof for my purposes: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...yABEgItOPD_BwE
Old 10-03-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
Bus Geek

This looks like kind of what I'm looking for, only it's too large: https://www.defender.com/product3.js...9946&id=193087

Does anybody know if these are waterproof when something is plugged into them, or are they only waterproof when the cap is plugged in?
Old 10-04-2019, 12:51 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The rubber gasket in the base seals the legs when plugged in.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote