Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
We Can Take A Few Design Lessons From These Guys...

Ever see a tractor-trailer with a sleeper like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	200-Sleeper-Tractor.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	27192

Ever wonder what it was like inside? I can tell you, skoolie folks can take a few design lessons from these things. Standard sleepers are utilitarian and spartan, just sticking to the basics, but these extended ones are nicer than most apartments. The trade-off, of course, is the longer wheelbase makes for wider turning radius, but that already a given with a skoolie.

These are a couple sites I found for companies that build these sleepers. Maybe it'll help give a few ideas for design and layout.

ARI - Extended RV Style Road Tractor Sleepers
ICT - Custom Road Tractor Sleepers

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've been wanting a rig like that! most folks call em toterhomes.
Maybe start with an 80's Pete... MMmmmmm I'd love to have a camper/cruiser with a 3406!

I like this-

and this-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
Traveling

Oh, yeah, we can dream...

But I wasn't saying so much in the realm of that particular type of vehicle, just in the efficiency of the space usage of the layout. It's half the length of the skoolie and has just as much space. Makes me think this level of thought in design and space usage could really make a skoolie feel like a mansion.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:19 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I am getting more design ideas from business jets and high-end yachts than from the RV world. Most RVs are quite simply hideous, inside and out, and they have nothing of any interest to me. A beautiful Italian yacht or power cruiser, or some gorgeous Grumman Gulfstream, are what inspire me. Simple clean lines, fastidious attention to detail and an uncompromised aesthetic are my inspirations, not some god-awful POS plastic RV and its miserable interior. After all, isn't this why we're building our own motorhomes instead of just buying something?

Per ardua ad astra.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:53 AM   #5
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I am getting more design ideas from business jets and high-end yachts than from the RV world. Most RVs are quite simply hideous, inside and out, and they have nothing of any interest to me. Simple clean lines, fastidious attention to detail and an uncompromised aesthetic are my inspirations, not some god-awful POS plastic RV and its miserable interior. After all, isn't this why we're building our own motorhomes instead of just buying something?
True, but these extended tractor sleepers aren't quite typical RV offerings. Take a look, you'll see. Besides, there's nothing wrong with taking a page from someone else if it works better.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I think some of the spaces in the truck sleepers are neat, you just have to remember that you're compromising different things with them - for example, the height - the same reason some people do a roof raise - when you can go up, you can get a lot more bang for your buck with the same size floor plan, but now you have a taller rig - that may or may not fit in some places. The toterhomes with the trailers bolted on are still just trailers on a nicer frame - they won't hold up in a crash.

A lot of people borrow from aviation or shipbuilding - they're used to constraints that even make a short bus look huge in comparison.

The real question is where do you stick a bucket truck arm on one of those toterhomes. . . . . .
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote