Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you'll find driving a bus is easy.. when I was 16 and my school-bus driver let me drive her own bus.. she said "lets take it to the School parking lot".. it was marked like a little city to teach driver's ed.. so i went to her house and got in my normal bus seat behind her.. then she said "here you start it up".. well i started it, and she never moved out of her seat behind ME.. so I white knuckled it down the long driveway, out to the road. and made it to the school parking lot...

her response was along the lines of "now you can drive a bus..so lets practice backing".. but ultimately it was the hop in and go that made me start to feel comfortable with a bus.

get in and go and enjoy!!! practice backing and maneuvering with cones or boxes in a walmart parking lot, spend some real time adjusting your mirrors. it helps a lot..
-Christopher
Thanks Christopher. I figured mirrors were the key, and getting used to sitting ahead of the steer wheels.

I used to drive a farm tractor with a 40' trailer, and back it into a loading dock. I should be okay.

We will find out either tomorrow morning, or next Saturday.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #22
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I missed it by $150, it sold for $3000.

Pretty sure I could get my money back if I really needed it.
You don't know that. Other guy may have been willing to go another dozen Benjamins.

You can get your money back today, but you will never get the hours back these vehicles take to build properly.

Buses are expenses, not investments in the traditional sense. Mine has proven to be a profitable investment in my sanity thus far, however. I enjoy my bus because it is selfish time.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You don't know that. Other guy may have been willing to go another dozen Benjamins.

You can get your money back today, but you will never get the hours back these vehicles take to build properly.

Buses are expenses, not investments in the traditional sense. Mine has proven to be a profitable investment in my sanity thus far, however. I enjoy my bus because it is selfish time.
Oh yeah, I meant now Not when I have 1000 hours in the build.

That other bus had an engine issue. It was a known issue with an injector code but still could have cost a few hundred to fix. That's why my top bid was what it was.

Build Thread
Old 12-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
any "injector" or "misfire" code should be treated with extreme caution.. some of these codes are "catch-all" codes fro a cyloinder that isnt properly participating.. anything from a loose glowplug to busted rings or valves can trip a code like that..
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
any "injector" or "misfire" code should be treated with extreme caution.. some of these codes are "catch-all" codes fro a cyloinder that isnt properly participating.. anything from a loose glowplug to busted rings or valves can trip a code like that..
-Christopher
I forget the code now, but it was specific and to do with voltage. It was most likely the harness or solenoid. Bus ran perfectly on the highway, but had a rough idle

Build Thread
Old 12-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im glad you got the bus with NO code
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote