Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Weight

I have a 1992 Thomas Sat-T-Liner with the 5.9 Cummins. All of the seats have been removed.

Anyone have an idea what this thing weighs? Just curious.

Thanks.

Markzitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
How many windows?
Old 05-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
my bus

24 feet no seats cummins 5.9 manual transmission 10,000 lbs estimated

same bus, no engine, transmission or anything at all related to an engine no seats, a bare, steering, braking, rolling shell 6,200 lbs

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: MVP
Engine: Cummins 5.9
If I remember correctly, it has 11 windows per side. It is approximately 35 ft long.
Markzitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzitz View Post
I have a 1992 Thomas Sat-T-Liner with the 5.9 Cummins. All of the seats have been removed.

Anyone have an idea what this thing weighs? Just curious.

Thanks.
IF its a 40 footer around 17-19k.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
IF its a 40 footer around 17-19k.
Likely ECCB is very close. But the only way to know for sure is to find a truck stop and pay the usual $15.00 for a truck scale. Small price to pay to know for sure, and you will get actual weight per axle and total weight combined.

These scales are set up with independent concrete pads on heavy springs and pressure plates to measure weight. Pull on them slowly, and brake gently to avoid damaging the scale.

Be sure that your two axles are on different pads, and not on the seam between pads. There will be a call box to request a weigh. When they weigh it, they will tell you to come in and get your ticket. Pull off the scale and find a safe place to park, it is NOT kosher to park on the scale or to block the scale.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzitz View Post
If I remember correctly, it has 11 windows per side. It is approximately 35 ft long.
Mine is also 11 windows and 35 ft long. Weight was 16,250 lbs. with all seats and floors removed.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Alternatively if you don't need an official weight but just an approximate, many Ag plants have scales in the vicinity of the silos which have a digital display you can read from the driver's seat. If you want front and rear axle weights, pull half on, stop, note the weight as front axle only, pull all the way on, stop, note the weight as full vehicle, subtract first from second numbers for rear axle weight only.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Alternatively if you don't need an official weight but just an approximate, many Ag plants have scales in the vicinity of the silos which have a digital display you can read from the driver's seat. If you want front and rear axle weights, pull half on, stop, note the weight as front axle only, pull all the way on, stop, note the weight as full vehicle, subtract first from second numbers for rear axle weight only.
This is indeed true, but I've seen these scales off by a LOT before. A paper mill I hauled out of was off by about 7,000 lbs on the drive axles because it was a platform scale we had to use this method with, which doesn't always work for a five-axle trailer truck.

What throws things off is that there is usually an incline to the scale platform, which has the vehicle pointing uphill when weighing only the front axle, and pointing downhill when weighing only the rear axle. And sometimes that can throw things WAY off. As you said, approximate, but sometimes it's not even close.

I actually got in a shouting match with several people at a produce shipper because they insisted their scale was certified and I knew there was no way it was right, nor was it certified.

They backed down when I told them to show me the paperwork certifying it, because there was no way my 53-foot reefer fully loaded with crates of apples was only 37,000 lbs (which would put the truck about 72,000 gross). The CAT scale 30 miles away said 81,050. Guess I won that round. ;)

Not in regards to you, Sehnsucht, just in reference to the idiots at that shipper that thought they knew everything. LOL
Old 05-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I know what you mean about idiotic shippers. Only overweight fine I ever got I didn't even scale it, my co-driver did at pickup and they only gave him the full weight so he took them at their word it was legal. 6 paper rolls, loaded from the nose, drive axles over by more than 2k! I knew something was wrong as soon as I started driving because it was very heavy on the drives. Then the weigh station was opened....

My expectation is that even if it's not totally accurate it'll at least give the OP a reasonable idea and save $15
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Gravel pits have scales too. The ones in our area charge $8-$10. Just don't catch them on the day after a big rain storm.... Cheese is right, there is a procedure and etiquette involved in using one.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #12
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
I know what you mean about idiotic shippers. Only overweight fine I ever got I didn't even scale it, my co-driver did at pickup and they only gave him the full weight so he took them at their word it was legal. 6 paper rolls, loaded from the nose, drive axles over by more than 2k! I knew something was wrong as soon as I started driving because it was very heavy on the drives. Then the weigh station was opened....
I got that one beat. Idiot dispatcher set me up with a dry-van load of 26 liquid totes (I don't have the T endorsement, mind you).

For the uninformed, commercial liquid freight requires a T (tank) endorsement if over 119 gallons. This was way more than that. I was pretty sure I wasn't supposed to haul that load, but they claimed dry van loads did not require it.

Ground loaded, improperly, and somewhere along the line the totes slid forward, loosening the strap so it could later slide back to the trailer doors. Got popped for 7,100 over on the tandems. Slid what I could to state law and it was still 5,800 over. Cop wrote the ticket for 5,800 over to the company, not me, thankfully. Apparently they had gotten known for running overweight out of a local creamery. I think what saved me was I had a scale ticket showing it was legal when I was loaded.

But I digress. Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:49 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	55992
So I decided to take the bus to the scales today.
It appears to be about 3 twelve packs over
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Out here in rural Oregon there is a state scale alongside HWY 140 that rarely has a cop there. There is lots of room around the scale to pull off into. I will probably go there when the cop isn't to weigh my Crown when the time comes. There are scales at Ontario (not state operated), and at Vale (State operated).
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: Cat C7 7.3L
Rated Cap: 90 Passenger
I passed on the opportunity to weigh my 40ft Thomas on a CAT scale on the way home from the dealer, and I wish I didn't. I was still nervous about driving it and I was 50mi into my first drive with it.

I will find one around here eventually to see where I am before my build.
enigmamdw is offline   Reply With Quote