Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking
What are the most/least reliable schoolbusses chassis?

What kind of differences have you heard about the chassis itself (not engine/transmission but everything else) that would make you recommend one over another? (ie - airbrakes going out on one, electrical problems in another, a third is a rapid ruster, etc.) There's a fair bit of debate over say normal busses that i've read elsewhere, but I haven't heard the same discussion specifically about schoolbusses so i'm asking.

I heard someone mentioned to avoid GMC in an offhand comment, whether thats opinion or based on fact, whether it was just older engines or everything about them i'm not sure but.. care to share your opinions on what you'd look for and what you'd steer away from (even at lower/good prices due to risks/difficulty reselling/etc)?

My normal preference is to buy what the market doesnt much want to get a good deal - I dont mind a manual for instance, but I wouldn't want an unreliable bus chassis or an unreliable engine. Rust is observable but some mechanical problems are not obvious even with a mechanics inspection.

nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: What are the most/least reliable schoolbusses chassis?

The only thing on the chassis that would scare me would be Ford's oddball Lucas-Girling hydraulic brakes. Any repair starts high and quickly rises from there, IF you can find anyone who knows how to service them.

I'm not thrilled with anything powered by a small engine, either.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote