Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
What do you all carry with you for tools and spare parts?

I am just planning on what to take and was wondering what do you all carry with you for tools and spare parts?

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Essentials (in my opinion):

1: Fire extinguisher. It's just like a parachute - you hope you never need it, but when you do, nothing else will really do the job. And you need it *RIGHT NOW*.
2: Reflective triangles, which should have been in your bus when you bought it.
3: Spare fuses (if you don't have breakers).
4: Spare fan belt(s) and fuel filters. Appropriate tools to change both.
5: Extra oil and coolant. Sometimes a gallon or two of water will at least get you off the highway to a place you can get more.
6: Basic tools. Wrenches, screwdrivers, socket-set(s) (some belt tensioners have square holes to allow ratchets or breaker bars to release the tension).
7: Jumper cables.
8: A spare tire, jack(s) and tools to change it. This can be important if you don't have a common size tire or wheel. Some people will not change split-rim tires (if you have these).
9: Chains, straps, ropes, bungee cords and various other instruments of securement.
10: Cell phone, GPS, and other means of finding your way and communication. Charging methods for them, both 12V and wall-plugs. Solar, if appropriate.

This is not by any means a comprehensive list but it's a good start for some of the basics to keep on board.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Brad's list is a good one.

Make sure the wrenches and sockets you bring will fit your engine (some have both metric and "american" fasteners).

Check that you can actually remove lug nuts with the tools you have - you may need a piece of pipe to give more leverage than a standard breaker bar/lug wrench can give you.

Add some 4x4 wheel chocks and some leveling boards. You can drive the inner dually onto a couple of leveling boards and remove the outer dually without a jack.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:24 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Great advice!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Skoolie

I carry just about every tool I own both SAE & metric, spare old fan belts, 20 ton jack, spare tire/wheel, fluids & my Jeep. If I need anything else I'll just drive the Jeep to the parts store.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
I carry just about every tool I own both SAE & metric, spare old fan belts, 20 ton jack, spare tire/wheel, fluids & my Jeep. If I need anything else I'll just drive the Jeep to the parts store.
Having a towed vehicle is great if you have a breakdown, but not everyone will have that luxury. Besides, there are places that you wouldn't want to leave your vehicle unattended for any length of time, either due to being a bad area, or danger of being hit by passing traffic. Also, if you snap a fan belt late Sunday night, most parts places will be closed (and Big Box stores may not have the belt you need).

*NEVER* rely on some remote, distant mom-and-pop parts place having what you need "on the shelf". Sure, fuses and lights are pretty common, but your fan belt or fuel filter or tire size may not be. Have a spare, and replace that when you have the opportunity.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I'll get to the tool box in a minute. I carry both AAA and Good Sam "unlimited" towing cards and a fat credit card--I consider them travel tools. Just so the tow driver won't think I'm a total tool myself, I carry a Tupper Ware 9"x 12" covered "cake pan" with 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet wrenches, 1/4" to 3/4" sockets and their metric equivalent, similar size box/open end wrenches, pliers, side cutter. crimping tool, crimps (yellow blue and M/F spades), a small roll of ignition wire, multiple sets of fuses as used in my bus, Torx bit and socket set, small Allen wrench set, small and medium adjustable wrench, small and medium flat and Phillips screwdrivers, a medium size hammer cut to fit the box, a small multimeter with continuity tester, a FRESH roll of masking tape and of course a 9mm Beretta (in it's own lock box). Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I'll get to the tool box in a minute. I carry both AAA and Good Sam "unlimited" towing cards and a fat credit card--I consider them travel tools. Just so the tow driver won't think I'm a total tool myself, I carry a Tupper Ware 9"x 12" covered "cake pan" with 1/4" and 3/8" ratchet wrenches, 1/4" to 3/4" sockets and their metric equivalent, similar size box/open end wrenches, pliers, side cutter. crimping tool, crimps (yellow blue and M/F spades), a small roll of ignition wire, multiple sets of fuses as used in my bus, Torx bit and socket set, small Allen wrench set, small and medium adjustable wrench, small and medium flat and Phillips screwdrivers, a medium size hammer cut to fit the box, a small multimeter with continuity tester, a FRESH roll of masking tape and of course a 9mm Beretta (in it's own lock box). Jack
9mm Beretta, fantastic gun. Your my kind of people lol ;)
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
and of course a 9mm Beretta (in it's own lock box). Jack
We have a short bus so I have to carry a .380 Ruger (the .380 is a scaled down 9mm)

When taking off a wheel lately I noticed that my 1/2" drive breaker bar had a LOT of flex when I stood on it to break the lug nuts loose. That led me to upgrade to a 3/4" drive breaker bar, extensions and socket for my lug nut removal. No worries about breaking that setup.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
When taking off a wheel lately I noticed that my 1/2" drive breaker bar had a LOT of flex when I stood on it to break the lug nuts loose. That led me to upgrade to a 3/4" drive breaker bar, extensions and socket for my lug nut removal. No worries about breaking that setup.
Take a look at Transcendence's recent video about his maiden/shakedown voyage and all the stuff that went wrong with his bus. He's using and recommending something I've seen in catalogs but never up close and personal. It's essentially a planetary gear set in a can that slips over one lug and has an arm that sits against the adjacent lug. His has 58-to-1 gear reduction, which is an equivalent amount of torque increase. Looks like it's just the thing to win any and all arguments with lug nuts.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

one would think that all with air brake system would also carry 3/4 air hose and one inch impact wrench for changing tires, etc. last trip i had a flat on lf steer on freeway n used mine.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
1) Credit Card
2) Credit Card with higher limit

I have air brakes, so I make sure to have a connection hose to reach my tires, run a small power tool, etc.Make sure you place you hookup secondary air- read-up on protection valves also.

Wheel chocks I leave on my stairs so I trip-over them out the door and have to toss them by the back wheel.

Windex and rags to clean mirrors/windows

I picked-up a Craftsman 200 piece socket/open/hex kits. Yes, China, but if I go easy, I can make a repair and it was $80/delivered fleabay. The case is the cat's pajamas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	craftsman-936220-220-piece-mechanics-tool-set-3bff87d28b3a2fc561d524e7ce5430d0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	15031
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Take a look at Transcendence's recent video about his maiden/shakedown voyage and all the stuff that went wrong with his bus. He's using and recommending something I've seen in catalogs but never up close and personal. It's essentially a planetary gear set in a can that slips over one lug and has an arm that sits against the adjacent lug. His has 58-to-1 gear reduction, which is an equivalent amount of torque increase. Looks like it's just the thing to win any and all arguments with lug nuts.
Its a sort of torque multiplier. They used to sell one for VW flywheels. They put those suckers on at 250+ ft/lbs! I've seen guys use a four foot cheater bar on those damn things.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I am fortunate to have 7 feet of shop space at the rear of the bus, and lots of tools and a few jacks and gloves and a yoga mat to protect my back when crawling under the bus. Sometimes i am at peace under the bus and just lay there gazing up at the beautiful machine above me.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
9mm Beretta, fantastic gun. Your my kind of people lol ;)
Quote:
We have a short bus so I have to carry a .380 Ruger (the .380 is a scaled down 9mm)
You kids better stay out of MD. I don't know if RVs are exempt but guns and vehicles don't mix in this commie state. You are allowed to carry in the car if you are going to/from the range. By the letter of the law, if you stop for gas or a soda, you can be busted. I dunno if anyone ever has or not but the law is there for it.

That said, I haven't felt the need to carry (don't have a lock box {yet} anyway) but if I were to carry, it would either be the FN57 or the FN45. I like the feel of my Springfield 9mm but I prefer the FN57. If I need bigger holes in things, I prefer the FN45.

Quote:
Until you start using impact guns. These tools also come in 1 inch drive too. FYI, I bought the 3/4" as I felt it was enough for doing it by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I picked-up a Craftsman 200 piece socket/open/hex kits. Yes, China, but if I go easy, I can make a repair and it was $80/delivered fleabay. The case is the cat's pajamas.
I have no problem with Craftman. There's a Sear and/or Kmart everywhere so replacing broken pieces is easy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its a sort of torque multiplier. They used to sell one for VW flywheels. They put those suckers on at 250+ ft/lbs! I've seen guys use a four foot cheater bar on those damn things.
250fl/lbs is nothing. The 2 1/4" nut holding a rotary engine is 400 ft/lbs.

The specs for the lugs is 400~600 ft/lbs. Hell of a tolerance on the spec.

I need to get one of the mutliplers yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
and a yoga mat to protect my back when crawling under the bus. Sometimes i am at peace under the bus and just lay there gazing up at the beautiful machine above me.
Note to self: Buy second creeper and stuff in storage locker of bus.

P.S. Can't reach anything from the ground that's attached to the frame rail. Engine and tranny sure. I can sit upright under my bus between the frame rails.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Brewerbob, you say that Maryland is a commie state? Try Rhode Island. I'm told that if you suffer a mechanical breakdown on the side of the road, the state troopers will remove your license plates and demand that you get the vehicle towed. After you get it fixed, they have to re-inspect it.

Out here in Montana, no problem with firearms in your car.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Brewerbob, you say that Maryland is a commie state? Try Rhode Island. I'm told that if you suffer a mechanical breakdown on the side of the road, the state troopers will remove your license plates and demand that you get the vehicle towed. After you get it fixed, they have to re-inspect it.

Out here in Montana, no problem with firearms in your car.
I can't say whether that is true or not. But...

With the size of RI, if you have 3 cars parked on the side of the road no one else would be able to get in. When it comes to gun stuff; Cali leads the way, NY does it's best to keep up, and MD stares longingly at its two big brothers and wants to be just like them.

Baltimore is yet another fine example of gun control working. On course for one murder per day average yet again. When I first moved here 12 yrs ago there was a 30 second radio spot that said there had been "only 150" murders so far in the year. The lowest since 1976. And how great everything was. I heard the news blurb in April/May. Do the math.

What surprised me most was how proud the government was about it.

Montana is on the cold side for winter. Little warm in the summer too. I hear WA is ok with guns. I need to find a place that likes guns, cars, and beer. I don't need my guns outlawed, car inspected, or my beer illegal on Sundays.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Don't leave out Illinois.
Draconian laws only put in place to keep honest people in fear.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Don't leave out Illinois.
Draconian laws only put in place to keep honest people in fear.
No chance of me moving to the middle of the country so no worries there. East coast, west coast, or Rockies. You can keep everything between the Rockies and the Appalachians.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
"This year will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

Adolph Hitler, 1935
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote