Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking
what do you wish you had spent MORE for?

Since the normal tendency is to go cheap or to figure we can "fix it ourself" or upgrade it later or similar thinking, have you "Saved money" and regretted it, not buying a more expensive but better bus/product for the bus/service related to your bus/etc?

For instance my original plan was to just go gas because it would be cheaper up front, yet a couple of gas tanks will wipe out that difference almost immediately - diesel really seems the way to go especially certain models like the cummins.

Where do you wish you had NOT cheaped out? Or what was so much of a PITA that you wish you had just paid someone else to do it?

nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: what do you wish you had spent MORE for?

I wish I had spent more on the bus itself. Initially, the costs and time needed were way underestimated and I focused too much time trying to find a bargain basement chassis although, I did find a cheeper Intl/Ward for $1200 that I passed on. Dont get me wrong, my bus runs great with no mechanical work needed but a higher roof height Thomas with a factory underbed storage would have been nice.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I wish I had spent more on my subflooring. I got a GREAT deal on some oddball thickness plywood, but it has JUST enough flex to it if you get between where the furring strips are for me to notice. I also wish my water system was more conventional. The air system works great and is quiet plus requires no winterization, but I think I spent more to get it working right than I would have to just put in a conventional pump. Also, food grade water drums do not make great water tanks.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Also, food grade water drums do not make great water tanks.
why not? I was thinking of using them myself for the cost of less than $10 I thought they would be perfect.
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I really really really struggled with getting the fittings to seal. They have NPT threads in the larger plastic caps. The threads are short and soft so it's tough to get ANY sort of areal seal out of them and the caps themselves use some other weird thread so it wasn't an option to just replace them entirely. I ended up using a ton of Magic Putty-like epoxy to get the fittings to seal and have some strength. I'm thinking it could work fine so long as you figure out a different solution than trying to use those caps for the fittings.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

The problem was mostly due to the flexing imparted by the air pressure in the tank. Just 20 psi of air pressure would make for a faucet that would strip paint, but it also caused enough flex in the tank to cause leaks at the fittings.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 91
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: ford
Engine: ford 6.6L diesel turbo

I have used plastic drums for clean up water at my deer camp. I used a fitting with a wide screw down nut on both sides and cut a piece of rubber for a gasket. Worked well but don't know how it will work with presure on it.
firemanbud343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #8

Year: 1998
Coachwork: eurotrans
Chassis: xlt
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 170

I got a 35' bus.

I wish I waited to for a 45'ft, 12' tall commuter bus.

basically "size".
TENSIONSHEET is offline   Reply With Quote