Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Skoolie

what is adequate ventilation for propane tanks

i was debated carrying around three 20 lb tanks of propane at a time and was wondering what is adequate ventilaion for propane tanks.size and orientation, other considerations. thanks

adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: what is adequate ventilation for propane tanks

The tanks need to be vertical so as to release vapor instead of liquid propane unless you have a tank specifically designed for horizontal operation.

As far as venting, propane is heavier than air. Make sure the vent hole is absolutely the lowest point. I don't think size is of much concern. A 1 inch hole in the bottom of the compartment should be more than sufficient. A larger vent at the top front would serve as a ram air system to effectively flush the compartment making it even safer.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: SV396 V-8, International
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinCoughlin

Propane is heavier than air - so nothing that has the chance of holding it in. Something with a grate on the bottom (I can't remember who did that, but it was effective looking). On my bus, I carry a little more than 60 gallons - there is one 83 gallon tank but you have to leave a percentage "empty" to allow for expansion when it heats up. My bus runs on propane, so my tank is mounted under the bus, between the frame rail and the side skirt, and is in a tank strong enough to take a pretty fierce hit (it is designed for vehicle use). Any leaks drop straight down and away.

I am in the process of adding an under the bus compartment that will hold two of the 5 gallon (20 pound) barbeque bottles for the stove as well as part of my renovation. I'm going to use expanded metal mesh for the bottom.

Kevin
Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I like the 3 20# cylinder idea from a user friendly standpoint, they are easy th handle and can be exchanged on any street corner in the US, Alfa Sun rv's are using 3 20# tanks on some of their newer models.Most rv's use an open bottom storage compartment for LP tanks. the winnebago that I disassembled used a louvered door, wall mounted bracket with a 2 tank base, metal bellybands to secure the tanks and the auto changeover valve complete with plumbing and fittings in one neat bracket assembly
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Webb
. . .I just had three tanks filled and the new valves put on old tanks. Then they certified the tanks for a total of 146.00 with 60 lbs of propane. That hurt. No one would fill my old tanks without them being converted.
OUCH! I simply took my empty non-approved tanks to Lowes and exchanged them at the standard exchange rate.

To the best of my knowledge, anywhere in the country that exchanges tanks is legally obligated to take non-approved tanks so they get the unsafe tanks out of circulation. Then they are reconditioned with approved valves installed, and put back in circulation.