Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: What is "habitable" to , my registration story

Can you "mock up" something that looks like it was installed, but is only held on with those "Super" magnets?

Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

sounds good to me, go back and try again. I don't have a vent for my stove but do have a hood. All the rest sounds ok to me, they just don't want a 5 gallon bucket toilet, a mattress on the floor for a bed and a card table for an eating table. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Almost There

mdpolakow, I am wondering why your have to get an inspection. Was your bus previously registered out of state. I am in CT and did alot of checking regarding registration, and I was under the impression from talking to numerous inspectors that there is no inspection, unless you need a vin verification for an out of state vehicle.

Thanks,
Eric
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84

Sounds to me you are trying to get a RV tag, instead of a a regular auto or non-commercial tag. I can understand the inspection requirement when changing the status of a vehicle to that extent. Quite a few states have that inspection in place when changing the status of a vehicle. More often then not, most states require you to have a minimum of 3 of the possible 5 or 6 items on the list completed. Sounds like you've done that. I too would find another DMV office.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Almost There

Or you could just vent out of an open window if you had too.
thechandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Apparently the procedure in CT is much easier if the bus was previously registered in CT. A lot of it depends on the inspector you get tho. A friend of mine tried to get camper plates with a CT school bus title, and was told the bus had to be fully inspected, with all appliances, and he couldn't even get temp plates - he needed to flatbed it to DMV. This was at the Waterbury office. He's planning on trying another DMV office soon, probably one of the satellite offices or something. I know that with an out of state vehicle, they have to do a VIN verification, and they probably won't do that unless it's partially converted. A suggestion I heard was to throw sheets over everything and say it's in "winter storage," they're less likely to poke around. But keep trying, maybe go to different offices. Was your bus last titled in CT, or is it from out of state? Which DMV office did you go to?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

The big six/seven requirements used by many states are based on an ANSI standard quoted in the Missouri thread:
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4126

As far as your conversion:
1. Sleeping facilities: "4 bunk beds" PASS
2. Eating facilities would include a table: "table" PASS
3. Independent life support systems, four of the following facilities:
a. Cooking facility - would include a stove, microwave oven, standard oven, or convection oven, which is permanently installed and has adequate clearance:
- "toaster oven, microwave" PASS #1
b. Refrigeration or ice box - would include a refridgeration unit or ice box which is permanently installed. The unit may be powered by electric or LP gas:
- "4 cubic foot refrigerator" PASS #2
c. Self-contained toilet - would include a toilet and waste collection system that is permanently installed:
- "chemical toilet" FAIL if it is portable, possible PASS #3 if it is bolted in. They may want to see a black tank type instead.
d. Heating or air conditioning or both - permanently installed - electric or LP gas:
- "25, 000 BTU propane heater" FAIL if it is portable, PASS #3 or #4 if it is bolted in.
e. A portable water supply system including a faucet and sink - It would also have a grey water holding tank:
- "7 gallons of water, sink" PASS #3, #4, or #5 if grey water tank, possible FAIL if not
f. Separate one hundred ten to one hundred twenty five (110-125) volt electrical power supply or liquefied petroleum (LP) gas supply or both - a 12 volt DC power inverter capable of powering the cooking facility, refrigeration, or heating / air conditioning system that is permanenlty installed would be acceptable. A LP gas system used to supply the stove, oven refrigerator, or heating would be acceptable:
- "1800 watt generator," plenty of inverters," "propane" PASS #3, #4, #5, or #6

I could understand an added requirement of a vent over a propane stovetop, but over a microwave? See if the requirement is cited in CT law. If so, a regular RV roof vent in the kitchen ought to suffice.

If you have the fourth ANSI requirement dead to rights (grey tank or permanent propane heater), I would look for another inspector, too. Many skoolies here are not as well equipped as yours.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Been down this road before . I had a 75 Chevy van when i was young that I was using as a camper(pretty baren inside) went to reg. it and the inspector was giving me grief. "wheres your bed?" "Here -"this air matress" "OHHH NOO! Thats not good enouigh." Me-(in my best chopper show on tV attitude) "You show me in statue 14 of CT DMV codes where it say i have to have a box spring bolted to the floor! I slept in here all weekend! It still smells of smoke from the campfire! Theres my cooler-still has food in it! There my Coleman stove!" "Ok-ok-fine! reg. it as a camper."
Flash forward 20 years. My short bus was registered with commercial plates before i had it. Sent the wife to (Old Saybrook) DMV. Just walked in with the paperwork -said she wanted camper plates-no questions asked-got plates + out the door. Hit or miss with them-whatever mood they're in. Hint: I've played the motor vehicle game 100's of times--been to every office in the state. Old Saybrook is by far the best one to deal with.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Picture of your grill?
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

I was lucky: I went to the DMV (RI) and filled out the paperwork.

I put on the paperwork:
YEAR: 1984
MAKE: Ford
MODEL: 700
BDY STYLE: Other
VEH TYPE: Motorhome
GVWR: 25,000

I walked out with Camper plates. This was a small branch office...probably wouldn't fly at the main office.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote