Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 91
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 6-BT
Rated Cap: 40 passenger
What is this switch?

It is inside the service door control handle. It is activated whether door is closed.

If I delete the handle, do I jump the wires together, or keep them separated?
Attached Thumbnails
6C9FEE53-631B-4ADA-A4C1-5B01FA2DEDA4.jpg  

ChurchBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchBuz View Post
It is inside the service door control handle. It is activated whether door is closed.

If I delete the handle, do I jump the wires together, or keep them separated?

It appears to be a switch to sense the open/closed state of the front door which is a common thing to do. Not sure in your particular make and model what it would inhibit but it could prevent starting, shifting out of neutral, or release of parking brake, of just cause an alarm that the door is not completely closed. The general idea being to prevent driving the bus with the door open.
I would test the switch with a multimeter in the continuity testing mode. Depress the switch, simulating that the door mechanism has closed against it thus depressing the switch. If you have continuity when the switch is depressed and not when the switch is out, I would jump the wires together and then test the start shift, and Ebrake release systems for proper functioning. If there is continuity with the button out and no continuity with the button in, then do not jumper the wires and again make the same tests.

I have repaired and even designed bus safety interlocks. It can go either way and really just depends on the preference of the designer though it is most common for such circuits to provide a ground signal when in the position desired position. For instance, an open door or window might allow an extended switch to break a ground signal and thus prohibit power flowing through the starting circuit. Or for a wheel chair lift it might inhibit power to the lifts hydraulics unless the door is open.
Just depends on the design.
So test it and make your best determination then test that all systems function and no alarm bells or lights are triggered. You might even want to test systems and alarms in both conditions just to see if there's any difference as the circuitry is TODAY as opposed to when it was designed and originally built.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:32 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 91
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 6-BT
Rated Cap: 40 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
It appears to be a switch to sense the open/closed state of the front door which is a common thing to do. Not sure in your particular make and model what it would inhibit but it could prevent starting, shifting out of neutral, or release of parking brake, of just cause an alarm that the door is not completely closed. The general idea being to prevent driving the bus with the door open.
I would test the switch with a multimeter in the continuity testing mode. Depress the switch, simulating that the door mechanism has closed against it thus depressing the switch. If you have continuity when the switch is depressed and not when the switch is out, I would jump the wires together and then test the start shift, and Ebrake release systems for proper functioning. If there is continuity with the button out and no continuity with the button in, then do not jumper the wires and again make the same tests.

I have repaired and even designed bus safety interlocks. It can go either way and really just depends on the preference of the designer though it is most common for such circuits to provide a ground signal when in the position desired position. For instance, an open door or window might allow an extended switch to break a ground signal and thus prohibit power flowing through the starting circuit. Or for a wheel chair lift it might inhibit power to the lifts hydraulics unless the door is open.
Just depends on the design.
So test it and make your best determination then test that all systems function and no alarm bells or lights are triggered. You might even want to test systems and alarms in both conditions just to see if there's any difference as the circuitry is TODAY as opposed to when it was designed and originally built.
Thank you!

I suppose that I was naïve in thinking that they were universal. Lol.

Good, I will make the tests
ChurchBuz is offline   Reply With Quote