Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: Chev. G30
What is this/what does it do????

Okay, I don't THINK I'm completely stupid but this has me stumped. On the drivers side, a few feet behind the drivers seat, there is what appears to be a tube of some sort underneath the bus. It cannot be seen from outside the bus, you must be underneath it. It comes out of the wall panel and goes up to the engine compartment. Where it comes out of the wall it seems to be metal (possibly copper?) but transitions to rubber. In the engine compartment it runs up in front of the drivers side along the firewall and goes through this.............

It then routes over to the passenger side and back on the engine to this..........

Can someone please tell me what this is or what it does???

SDS

sdsknifeworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: What is this/what does it do????

Sorry, I forgot to say what this is on. It's a '93 Chev. G30 mini bus.

SDS
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72

Does this bus have dual fuel? Looks like a propane shutoff valve.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Well the 1st pic is some form of solenoid-so powering it on or off will open/close it. (same type as a nitrous arangment actually by the looks of it.) Could it be air or vacuum? Are those plastic lines under rubber?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

It's not dual fuel. Gasoline only. And the tail end goes up into the wall of the bus about 1/3 of the way back. Just really odd placement and I can't figure out where it goes. It is a bit loose, like I could maybe pull it out, but without knowing what it does I don't want to just start yanking on it.

It's possible it's a vacuum of some kind but I don't know to what. The rubber lines are just rubber, not lined that I can tell. I will pull one to be sure though.

SDS
Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsknifeworks
. . . And the tail end goes up into the wall of the bus about 1/3 of the way back. . . .It's possible it's a vacuum of some kind but I don't know to what. . . . SDS
The photos of what the hose connected to were not clear enough to mean anything to me at first. Looking at it again with the extra clues, I noticed there are no hose clamps to keep the lines from BLOWING off, so vacuum SUCTION makes sense. When you say it goes into the wall of the bus, I am assuming you mean the passengers' compartment.

Many heater/air conditioners use vacuum motors to move the vanes in the air boxes to select heated or outside (cool), outside or recirculated intake air, or to defrost the windshield versus to heat your toes.

I don't know the vehicle model, and can't be sure, but since it appears to be on/off (all or nothing), I would now suspect that it might probably control suction to move an air vane to select recirculated air if there is either a recirculation switch or "MAX AC" position on the heater controls.

I also now remember that in some of the vehicles I have driven in the past (and I drove two Chevy vans), at start-up I would rev the engine a little while idling and then snap my foot off of the pedal to boost the vacuum to get the heat controls to change to my new selections more smartly. I don't remember doing that lately driving SUVs, but it also may be automatic and not conscious if the heater response is slow at this point.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I'll see if I can get some better pictures when I get my phone repaired/replaced (FYI, smart phones do not float). It could be some kind of vacuum hose but I still don't know what it goes to. Where it goes into the wall of the bus from underneath is about where the window divider is between the first and second passenger window on the drivers side.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I'll keep looking around and see what I can figure out.

SDS
Old 04-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1960
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 283 cid

Back in the late sixties I had a Baptists school bus. The swing stop sign was vacuum. Just an idea - disconnect the line going into the wall, with the engine running have a friend turn on-off all the heating positions. Also any of the school bus items. With luck one will open this line. Hopes this will help you. Best of luck the old man
mrtravelingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I will give that a try! Thanks for the tip. I had wondered if it might be something for the sign (that is no longer there) but it looked like it was farther back than anything related to the sign would be. Sounds like we'll be playing with switches tomorrow!!

SDS