Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1955
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 6700
Engine: 327
What kind of bus is this?

The kids that I got my bus from sent me a note about this bus they just got. Does anyone here know anything about it? I like it, but I don't have room for another bus. They don't want to do anything with it other than haul it to the scrapyard.
Attached Thumbnails
BusFront.jpg   BusRear.jpg  

Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I'd like to know. That bus has gorgeous lines, I hope it doesn't get scrapped!
mcduffieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
looks like a flxible

likely to be late 40's to 1950's engine in the rear original engines were gasoline. some have been refitted to diesels. four speed manual transmissions

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
looks like a flxible
Old 02-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
The kids that I got my bus from sent me a note about this bus they just got. Does anyone here know anything about it? I like it, but I don't have room for another bus. They don't want to do anything with it other than haul it to the scrapyard.
My guess is a 1947 Flexable Clipper RV. Google image search actually. Most were rear engine gasoline.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
If it's truly a Flxible bus it's worth a good deal more than its scrap value.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
If it's truly a Flxible bus it's worth a good deal more than its scrap value.
Probably. There was also a picture of the interior, gutted. I thought about posting on the for sale section, but I can't since it's not mine and I don't know how much. Anyone here is welcome to send me a personal message. I just like old busses and would be happy to help keep one out of the crusher.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: IH3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
My guess is a 1947 Flexable Clipper RV. Google image search actually. Most were rear engine gasoline.
I agree with Rivetboy, I saw one of these restored summer of 2019 in Alaska on the way to Homer. It was gorgeous so I of course spoke with the owner briefly. Said he was over 100k into it and still only 95% done (skoolie inside joke, I think every bus is always 95% done).

Anyways the flxible Starliner is very sought after and I believe even a vintage collectible to a small group of people, even smaller than Crown is. You might wanna have your friends push the Pause button until the research what they have, it'd be a shame to get rid of a bus with that much history if theres a collector out there who'd pay more. Just a thought.
Maligator. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
It's a Flxible for sure and worth a lot to the right guy looking for one for parts or a real serious restoration project. I've always known them as VL100's but through the years a lot of confusion has cropped up over the correct model designation for these and the other well known and newer 35ft model with the roof windows and stainless steel siding. Back in the day I drove a few of those and they had inline 6-71's in them and ran pretty good. These older and smaller ones were only about 28ft long and yes they originally had straight 8 Faegol or Buick gas engines in them. Through the years I've seen them re-powered to inline 4-71's and used here in L.A. for airport transfers.

They are good looking but on the small side in all dimensions, you can only stand up straight in the isle, and require a very determined effort to find parts and keep them on the road. But for those with the DEEEEEP pockets to attempt this, more power to you. The number of guys working on one of these and potentially in the market for one for parts etc. is way smaller than the Crown community and we know how small and quiet that one is......right? I'd say it would be worth it to try and get the word out about it and see who responds, it is worth a lot to the right community. Scrapping it is the easy and distasteful way out.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Like Crown_Guy says...it will take some serious coin to make that a beauty...but there's a ton of potential for the right person/business. If you haven't seen this Flxible, you should look up some of the photos. They actually took the body and put it on a Freightliner frame/driveline. I've had several opportunities to drool over this bus at events...and the coffee is good, too. Allegro Coffee Company

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.14.02 PM.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	53798
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: IH3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 77
That's a beauty for sure Ross, BB King had one I believe and someone bought it and restored it but that may just be campfire talk. They are all unique in some way at this point and quite rare enough to make any bus nut pause and pay homage that's no joke.
Maligator. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:11 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
What a sweet looking bus (it could be). A google came up with this article just to save some time for you..

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/dont-...reality-check/
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Like Crown_Guy says...it will take some serious coin to make that a beauty...but there's a ton of potential for the right person/business. If you haven't seen this Flxible, you should look up some of the photos. They actually took the body and put it on a Freightliner frame/driveline. I've had several opportunities to drool over this bus at events...and the coffee is good, too. Allegro Coffee Company

Attachment 53798
"BEANS THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE" would go great on a CNG bus.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
"BEANS THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE" would go great on a CNG bus.
...or better yet...methane.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:27 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

It is definitely a Flxible Clipper from the late 1930's.

The original engine would have been a Buick straight 8. It wasn't until Buick stopped making the straight 8 that Flxible started using a different power package. By the time the Buick straight 8 was history so were gasoline engines in buses. The straight 8 was changed in favor of engines like the Detroit Diesel 4-71 in the smaller buses and the 6-71 in the larger buses like the VL-100. Although during the transition period other engines made by Waukesha, Fageol, Hall-Scott, and Cummins were available but none proved as popular as the DD's.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/bus-...-your-clipper/
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I found a website dedicated to Flxables. This Clipper model was introduced in 1941 where they changed the side windows to forward-slanting. No production during the war '42 to '43. Same design was produced '44 to mid 1946 with the flat windshield. This one is in Oregon and the guys who have it own the flatbed trailer pictured. They may have the capability to deliver, but I don't know any details other than that.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I like that curbsideclassics article. I remember seeing the old bus parked next to the Broken Spoke in Austin, it was there for years. These Flxables may be rare, but there are some on the market. Currently you could get one with no engine or interior for $3,000, or you could get a nice one for $200,000. Unfortunately, this one is no longer available. Here is the reply:

"Unfortunately it's too late for this one. We were really torn but since the brakes and engine were sized, it required additional heavy equipment to move it, all of which is at our storage farm that has super tight corners. If that wasn't the case, we would have simply set it aside for a while or figured something out if we knew there would be interest. Sorry about the bad news. But rare and collectable busses do come up occasionally, next time I'll be sure to check how much interest there is prior to a time crunch."
Old 02-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
I remember watching that build. As far as I'm concerned that was the most reasonable and practical solution.
Imaginative and functional. That it's still with us is the only needed testimony.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Setra
Chassis: S 417
Engine: 12.7 L
Rated Cap: 56
It's a classic. The folks at Bus Nuts or the Bus Conversion forums would probably find a buyer for it even in these times! They would appreciate a chance to save it from the crusher
Jimot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
It is an early 50's Flxible Clipper, an early model, before they soothed the front end and used dual headlights. The scoop at the rear roof fed air to the Buick V-8 engine. Production continued until the late 50's or early 60's. This design was originally put together by Fageol Twin Coach, which Flxible absorbed. And yes, "Flxible" has no middle "e." I'm a 69-year-old retired bus driver, and was always a "bus nut."
Attached Thumbnails
1948-Flxible-Bus-Project-Front.jpg