Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
What Paint

I have began to start thinking about painting my bus. I have a 2003 Chevy shortie with a roof raise. I also replaced some of the windows with sheetmetal. All of the sheetmetal I used for the raise and the windows is galvanized sheetmetal. Now I am trying to figure out the best combo of primer/ paint that is also compatible with galvanized sheetmetal. It sounds like oil based might be out due to the galvanized. Does anyone have any experience painting galvanized.

Also I need to seal my roof raise transition. I was thinking about using Sika or a similar polyurethane caulk and then paint over the entire roof with a roof sealant paint. Does anyone have any suggestions for sealing/ painting the roof?

mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
From my research, there's not much out there that claims to work right out of the box (bucket?) on galvanized. Even paints specifically marketed as being made for galvanized generally require special surface prep, which usually includes etching with phosphoric acid (ospho), followed by an aggressive clean-water rinse to rid the surface of any remaining acid. Many people don't read and/or follow the TDS (technical data sheet). If a given paint is compatible with galvanized, it will be stated there, as well as the specific procedure for prep. I'd follow such instructions to the letter.

We actually just received most of the paint for our exterior. We're going with Axalta Corlar 2.1ST epoxy primer, over which will go Imron 3.5hg+ polyurethane. The primer is direct-to-metal, as well as being compatible with many cured coatings, so I expect it to work great for the mix of the two I'll be coating. It's also a mastic (high build, sealing) primer - suitable for waterproof sealing (immersion) given sufficient film thickness - so it should work great for sealing up any hair-width invisible cracks that may be present around rivets & seams. Per the TDS it's good on galvanized (so long as prep is done). The cost is lower than most automotive-specific 2K products with similar properties.

Another big plus on both the primer & paint is that - unlike many other industrial / automotive 2-part products - the TDS includes specific instructions, and Axalta makes special reducers & additives, for roller/brush application. Most of these types of paints don't, so this was pretty big to us. Not only is spraying impossible where we're at (overspray concerns), this **** is nasty (health-wise). Rolling makes it way safer (though we'll still be wearing full PPE applying it). How it will turn out I can't say, but we're more concerned w/ durability than appearance, so if it isn't perfect, no sweat. We're going to try something akin to the 'roll & tip' method popular among boat builders to hopefully get a somewhat decent look. Another huge plus regarding the Imron is that you can recoat over cured paint without any surface prep other than cleaning. Not many such paints can or do make that claim. Should be a benefit for keeping it looking & protective well in the years to come with minimal hassle.

A great product (per the specs) for sealing seams, painted or bare, that you never want to come apart is 3M FC550 adhesive/sealant. But I stress the never come apart bit. We'll be using 3M automotive seam sealer (or dynatron 550... maybe the same thing?) for stuff that may need to come apart sometime in the future. All are polyurethane based, & paintable.

I'll be painting the roof here w/in the next 2 weeks unless something goes very funky. I'll post my impressions / observations in our build thread (see our sig line) when that happens.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
@Danjo painted his bus recently & it turned out tits. Might want to hit up his threads for input / advice.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
You need to use a self-etching primer with galvanized. I covered my rear school bus sign with a big piece of galvanized sheet metal and used Rustoleum self-etching primer which adhered very well. I've also used it on the galvanized metal of my diesel tank.

The annoying thing is that it seems to be only available in spray cans. At one point with my fuel tank I found myself spraying primer onto a roller so I could get at an otherwise inaccessible side of the tank. I'd like to find a comparable substance in regular liquid paint form.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
@Danjo painted his bus recently & it turned out tits. Might want to hit up his threads for input / advice.
Haha. Thanks. It’s a 20/20 paint job. I guess it’s OK for a first attempt.

The one thing I did get right, I think, is using the right products. I went single stage.

Great materials, total noob spray gun operator.

I had good luck with PPG for their tech support and good documentation. They took all the questions out of product compatibility and method of application. BUT the local supplier wasn’t as good as the backing company for anything. End the end they were just a supplier and I relied on the manufacturer for info.

Sorry I can’t be more help, other than That I think single stage automotive paint is the way to go. Call PPG and Axalta. They both have great tech support.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
We have used the PPG AUE-300 series of implement paint. It does work well.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
https://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refin...leet-Essential

Here’s the link to the PPG Delfleet Essentials line. This is what I used. Check out the primers section for compatibility with galvanized
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
You need to use a self-etching primer with galvanized. I covered my rear school bus sign with a big piece of galvanized sheet metal and used Rustoleum self-etching primer which adhered very well. I've also used it on the galvanized metal of my diesel tank.

The annoying thing is that it seems to be only available in spray cans. At one point with my fuel tank I found myself spraying primer onto a roller so I could get at an otherwise inaccessible side of the tank. I'd like to find a comparable substance in regular liquid paint form.
a quick wipe with some mild ospho solution and galvanized can be painted 24 hrs later.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:42 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird All American
Engine: Cat C7 ACERT
Rated Cap: 54
@TheHubbardBus: I was searching for paint suggestions and came across your post. Just curious, how did your paint job using Axalta Corlar turn out? Is there any thing you would have done differently in hindsight?

Great post btw, very informative!
doncobb is offline   Reply With Quote