Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
Almost There

What’s the BEST Blind Spot Camera/Sensor System

So in 42 days I’m going to pick up my 1980 Crown. CrownGuy is picking me up at LAX and taking me to the bus storage yard. (I can’t believe how nice this community is) and then teaching me to drive and maintain said bus.

I want a top of the line sensor/camera system to tell me when it’s ok to change lanes, and give me full awareness of my surroundings. I know I can use the mirrors, and I will learn to drive properly, but I want backup/redundancy.
What is the BEST system money can buy?
I would prefer a camera based system but if the best thing out there is some type of proximity sensor, then so be it.
I want accuracy and cost isn’t an issue when it comes to safety.
I’ve looked online and I can’t find what I’m looking for. I saw one system online once at camping world or the like, but now I can’t find it.
Please help me!

Rberriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Great question, I am interested in the answer as well.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rberriz View Post
So in 42 days I’m going to pick up my 1980 Crown. CrownGuy is picking me up at LAX and taking me to the bus storage yard. (I can’t believe how nice this community is) and then teaching me to drive and maintain said bus.

I want a top of the line sensor/camera system to tell me when it’s ok to change lanes, and give me full awareness of my surroundings. I know I can use the mirrors, and I will learn to drive properly, but I want backup/redundancy.
I would prefer a camera based system but if the best thing out there is some type of proximity sensor, then so be it.
I’ve looked online and I can’t find what I’m looking for. I saw one system online once at camping world or the like, but now I can’t find it.
Please help me!
I would say that mirrors are a fail-safe backup for cameras and fancy lane-change gizmos, not the other way round! If the outside mirrors are correctly adjusted you'll be able to clearly see everything on either side of you - Crown's West Coast style mirrors are big enough to always work well. There are several websites telling you how to adjust semi-truck mirrors, and Crowns' are set up similarly. However, the mirrors' adjustment brackets may well be corroded solid, in which case you'll just have to improvise something until you have time to replace them. Mine were rusted solid, so after trying to free them I gave up and instead made some new bracket tubes from stainless steel, much better than the originals.

I also have a Rear View Safety 770613 camera system - for me it's indispensable when backing into my parking space here, plus I can see what's behind me while driving and check my exhaust to see if it's smoking. It covers the entire width of the rear bumper and back about ten feet, and the monitor allows several different viewing configurations. It's not a lane-change system, but it can support extra cameras - I suppose it could be made into one.

If I absolutely MUST change lanes, for example when the right lane ends and merges with the second-right, I put on my left indicator in plenty of time to signal my intention, but sometimes some damn fool idiots still don't get it. If they're asleep at the wheel or engrossed with their godamn cellphone or being uncooperative/stupid/moronic, I just start slowly moving towards their lane; when they see the flank of a bright yellow bus creeping inexorably closer and closer to their car they get the message! And if all else fails, Crown fits very loud air horns to their buses, so a quick blast will always wake them up.

Make sure all your gauges work, especially oil pressure and coolant temperature. If your bus has a Detroit, take some spare gallons of 40-weight CF-2 oil with you, and maybe take some Dexron II or whatever your transmission and PS needs, and some distilled water for the batteries and cooling system. Inflate the front tires to 100 PSI and the rears to 90 PSI, and check their temperatures whenever you stop every hour or so, along with the hubs and wheels (to notice any hot bearings or dragging brakes). And as I've said here before, don't have the radio on. You need to hear exactly what's happening - most things give audible warning before they start causing problems or worse. Besides, what nicer than listening to a Detroit 2-stroke or a big Cummins singing its happy song as the miles melt away?

Have fun, John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rberriz View Post

Please help me!
I was thinking of a system that had cameras and sensors plus a audio alarm...controlled by the turn signal switch...thought maybe use a PI mpu...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I would say that mirrors are a fail-safe backup for cameras and fancy lane-change gizmos, not the other way round! If the outside mirrors are correctly adjusted you'll be able to clearly see everything on either side of you - Crown's West Coast style mirrors are big enough to always work well. There are several websites telling you how to adjust semi-truck mirrors, and Crowns' are set up similarly. However, the mirrors' adjustment brackets may well be corroded solid, in which case you'll just have to improvise something until you have time to replace them. Mine were rusted solid, so after trying to free them I gave up and instead made some new bracket tubes from stainless steel, much better than the originals.

I also have a Rear View Safety 770613 camera system - for me it's indispensable when backing into my parking space here, plus I can see what's behind me while driving and check my exhaust to see if it's smoking. It covers the entire width of the rear bumper and back about ten feet, and the monitor allows several different viewing configurations. It's not a lane-change system, but it can support extra cameras - I suppose it could be made into one.

If I absolutely MUST change lanes, for example when the right lane ends and merges with the second-right, I put on my left indicator in plenty of time to signal my intention, but sometimes some damn fool idiots still don't get it. If they're asleep at the wheel or engrossed with their godamn cellphone or being uncooperative/stupid/moronic, I just start slowly moving towards their lane; when they see the flank of a bright yellow bus creeping inexorably closer and closer to their car they get the message! And if all else fails, Crown fits very loud air horns to their buses, so a quick blast will always wake them up.

Make sure all your gauges work, especially oil pressure and coolant temperature. If your bus has a Detroit, take some spare gallons of 40-weight CF-2 oil with you, and maybe take some Dexron II or whatever your transmission and PS needs, and some distilled water for the batteries and cooling system. Inflate the front tires to 100 PSI and the rear to 90 PSI, and check their temperatures whenever you stop every hour or two, along with the hubs and wheels (to notice hot bearings or dragging brakes). And as I've said here before, don't have the radio on. You need to hear exactly what's happening - most things give audible warning before they start causing problems or worse. Besides, what nicer than listening to a Detroit or a big Cummins as the miles melt away?

Have fun, John
Mirrors are great but do nothing for the blind spots...and 4 wheelers love to cruise right in them...them gizmos can be set up to eliminate the blind spots

Old 03-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Mirrors are great but do nothing for the blind spots...and 4 wheelers love to cruise right in them...them gizmos can be set up to eliminate the blind spots

I have NO blind spots on either side of my bus. I can clearly see everything from the front to the back, on both sides, easily. Blind spots are not unavoidable. I have Moto-Mirror 7-1510 mirrors with extra wide-angle round mirrors at their lower outside corners, and they are positioned according to advice I read on the BNO forum a few years ago.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I understand your concerns, but if the mirrors are all present and adjusted you will be fine. Sure a backup cam is nice, and you should have one, but I felt the same way going into it and was amazed that I felt like bus visibility was better than in my Honda Fit. I agree that a bus does not really have blind spots. Only tricky thing is judging how far you need to pass before merging. Rear cam helps with that.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:04 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
blind spots.

What John said.

Properly adjusted mirrors don't have blind spots on either side, period. It's amazingly easy to learn to use them, and get comfortable with them. In the driver's seat of a Crown, You have a different sense of the size of it, You don't feel it's that big, and it truly has better visibility than a lot of various cars and vans.

Only blind spot is dead astern out about 20 ft or so. A rear camera covering this is not a bad idea, but professional drivers for years have lived without them, and always did a full walk around before moving the vehicle, and checking for stuff (luggage, for instance) under the tires before moving the vehicle. While driving, and doing a proper continuous scan of what's going on around you, you'll see him coming, and know what's directly behind you, and can wiggle the bus back and forth to see him in you MIRROR.

Continuous scan, Situational awareness, that's the ticket.

Mirrors don't short out. Mirrors don't need a reboot. Mirrors don't have a camera lens covered with mud or such, Mirrors don't fail unless they hit, or get hit by something, then you go buy a new Mirror for $50 bucks or so. Mirrors won't get fried in an EMP Pulse either....Mirrors ARE the fail-safe for ALL the other fancy electronic sensor gimcracks.

Oh, by the way, did I mention I'm a high technology kind of guy myself, but I still only want Mirrors on my bus. I'm kinda funny that way. So will you.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:26 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
this isnt really answering your question, but i found it odd, International has a new 2019 model semi and it doesnt have a single mirror, all replaced by cameras. i'd feel so vunerable driving that. I agree with the well positioned mirrors too, my side mirrors allow me to see both sides of the bus from front to back, as well as from the road to the ceiling. the two that are in front of those on the hood, allow me to see directly in front of the bus, and a wide shot of people in the other lanes. I also have 1 back-up cam in the rear.

hope you find your sensors and cameras, it can be done!
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:06 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I have NO blind spots on either side of my bus. I can clearly see everything from the front to the back, on both sides, easily. Blind spots are not unavoidable. I have Moto-Mirror 7-1510 mirrors with extra wide-angle round mirrors at their lower outside corners, and they are positioned according to advice I read on the BNO forum a few years ago.

John
That's cool because everyone I know does have blind spots...it's even in the TX DMV book...

Old 03-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
What John said.

Properly adjusted mirrors don't have blind spots on either side, period. It's amazingly easy to learn to use them, and get comfortable with them. In the driver's seat of a Crown, You have a different sense of the size of it, You don't feel it's that big, and it truly has better visibility than a lot of various cars and vans.
I can't speak for ALL buses - but mine matches the above - NO BLIND SPOTS - at least in terms of driving down a highway changing lanes.

With that said, I do have this four-camera setup. Currently one camera is mounted at the rear - looking aft. It is primarily used to keep an eye on my Jeep and for backing into spots. I have another camera mounted on the roof looking at my solar panels (mostly for fun). I've not got around to mounting the two side cameras as they really are not needed. I'll likely use them for something else.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I can't speak for ALL buses - but mine matches the above - NO BLIND SPOTS - at least in terms of driving down a highway changing lanes.

With that said, I do have this four-camera setup. Currently one camera is mounted at the rear - looking aft. It is primarily used to keep an eye on my Jeep and for backing into spots. I have another camera mounted on the roof looking at my solar panels (mostly for fun). I've not got around to mounting the two side cameras as they really are not needed. I'll likely use them for something else.
Your biggest blind spot is the tailgater...

Old 03-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Your biggest blind spot is the tailgater...
I may misunderstood the OP's question, I apologize if so.

I thought we were talking about highway driving and changing lanes. In that scenario, a tailgater is irrelevant. You do not need to see what is directly behind you to change lanes. You need to see what is in the lane to which you are going.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I may misunderstood the OP's question, I apologize if so.

I thought we were talking about highway driving and changing lanes. In that scenario, a tailgater is irrelevant. You do not need to see what is directly behind you to change lanes. You need to see what is in the lane to which you are going.
True enough...if you have na blind spots to the side you are indeed blessed...my mirrors have never been that good...and a lot of folks have the same issue

Old 03-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:

I have been working on every sort of truck and bus for 40+ years if the correct mirrors are on the unit and adjusted correctly there should be no blind spots!
Old 03-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
I have been working on every sort of truck and bus for 40+ years if the correct mirrors are on the unit and adjusted correctly there should be no blind spots!

Old 03-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #17
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
I have to say that blind spots have more to do with the driver than anything else. I have way more spots that my mirrors don't show on my cars than I do on my trucks, motorcycles or my bus. Car mirrors and windows are minuscule compared to those of all other vehicles on road, which is what causes all those blind spots. I think most people ass-u-me mirrors show everything behind them... and they don't. Having ridden motorcycles for over 50 years, I am more than a little paranoid whenever I get on the road and I like how well I can see out of my bus.
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snonut View Post
I have to say that blind spots have more to do with the driver than anything else. I have way more spots that my mirrors don't show on my cars than I do on my trucks, motorcycles or my bus. Car mirrors and windows are minuscule compared to those of all other vehicles on road, which is what causes all those blind spots. I think most people ass-u-me mirrors show everything behind them... and they don't. Having ridden motorcycles for over 50 years, I am more than a little paranoid whenever I get on the road and I like how well I can see out of my bus.
I only have my own experience which doesn't include buses...or trucks...though truckers are talking about 4-wheelers being in their blind spots

Old 03-05-2018, 04:01 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
On ebay just type rv camera. There will be many ti choose from. On top of good position mirrors keep windows and mirrors clean also.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote