Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What type D busses have a rear door and or don't step up in the back ?

What type D busses have a rear door and or don't step up in the back ?

By step up i mean is the deck height is not elevated over the engine compartment. Is this ever found in a rear pusher?

davisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
You want a rear door or a flat deck all the way to the back, you're out of luck if you want RE. It doesn't exist to my knowledge. You're stuck with FE.

You COULD do it but the oil pan would be dragging on the ground. Not good.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Bus Nut is right but with out your height info its not absolute. Which dwarf are you? a RE could have the roof raised and the floor leveled out (grey hound provost does it this way). Most people put the bed back there on RE so the bump is just the bed frame.

I'm installing a 6 inch lift kit on my Genesis to raise the wheel wells high enough to remove the fender wells. This way our pro bowling team can practice ass we drive around the country. Were currently working on a ball return door for the cars behind us to return are balls as the fly out the back door.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Yea, if you wanna raise the roof by about 3 feet.... with a corresponding floor raise.... too much work in my book. Though granted you'd get hella storage space by doing that.... put all your plumbing tanks, HVAC ductwork and everything else down there, and still have room for anything you want to keep available yet not in the way.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I was planning on lifting the roof about 12" below the windows and adding approximately 3" of flooring, insulation and engineered bamboo

On a rear pusher is the deck height at #1 or#2 in pic

Old 10-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
In a rear pusher the floor is at level 2. There's a bench across the rear of the bus at level 1.

A mid-engine bus would have flat floor all the way from front to rear. I think somebody said recently that Crowns had, or may have, an engine mounted mid-ship. I don't know what kind of rear door arrangements they may have available.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #7
Bus Nut

That's if you can even find one of those..... that one I spotted in CA is the only one I've ever seen in my life, outside of movies or TV. Those Crown buses are rare gems that don't go up for sale very often.

What Family Wagon said about the floor and bench heights is spot-on. That's why I was saying about 3 feet if you wanted it flat front to back. The bench level is at about 18 inches, give or take, above floor level. That's still gonna cost you about 2-3 linear feet of floor space from the rear bulkhead.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the info. So whenever i see a type D with a rear door its pretty safe to assume it is a front or min engine like this one

The only reason I care about the back being flat is that i plan on having a 6' shop in the back with a 10-12" lathe and small mill. I was planning on making a rear folding lift deck off the back.

It looks like i can probably still do this if i lower the roof of the engine compartment as much as possible and put a hatch in the shop floor for access when needed. Metal fabrication isn't an issue.

Anyone have a cross section drawing of a type D rear pusher with dimensions ?
I made a crude model with SolidWorks for interior layout and it would be nice to have a more accurate compartments.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Rated Cap: 52 pax
The engine in a Crown is in fact under the floor dead center of the bus but because Crowns also have a large storage compartment in the back that takes up all the space a RE bus would have its engine and transmission, they too have a bench across the back with a raised deck behind the rear seat. I would even say Crowns have a smaller rear emergency exit because it is round and not square like the rear of most other buses. One cold remove the rear most seat and extend the floors to be level all the way to the back wall but you would loose most of your storage space.

-Chevy

here you can see the rear seat under my tanks

Rear emergency door and storage
Chevydude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdesigns View Post
Thanks for the info. So whenever i see a type D with a rear door its pretty safe to assume it is a front or min engine like this one

The only reason I care about the back being flat is that i plan on having a 6' shop in the back with a 10-12" lathe and small mill. I was planning on making a rear folding lift deck off the back.

It looks like i can probably still do this if i lower the roof of the engine compartment as much as possible and put a hatch in the shop floor for access when needed. Metal fabrication isn't an issue.

Anyone have a cross section drawing of a type D rear pusher with dimensions ?
I made a crude model with SolidWorks for interior layout and it would be nice to have a more accurate compartments.
Its FE Unless its a Crown.
This mid engine thing gets brought up a lot, but the fact is mid engine buses are RARE.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
The factory installed back doors and side windows were a huge buying point for me!

If it ain't sketchy.... It ain't fun!

Old 10-30-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Wonderful video and cinematography!!!
Just a simple jam session and those guys were having fun.
Thanks for the post
Old 10-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

I would totally go for a FE but a 30' driveline takes up a lot of usable space for tanks and whatever else i can squeeze between the frame rails.

The handling aspect doesn't concern me much because the only long trips it will go on is relocating. I do my touring on my motorcycle, way more fuel efficient.

Thanks for all the photos and help!

PS love CCR
Old 10-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
CCR...the BEST EVER!!!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote