Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2022, 11:40 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
What Type Framing Screws?

What kind of screws are you guys using to attach wood framing to the metal ribs of the bus? There are so many options of head design like a typical v head wood screw, a pan head, heads with washers, etc. Then the thread style and pitch, coarse and fine, self drilling, ??? Any suggestions and why you chose that style would be awesome! Thanks!

bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:03 AM   #2
Skoolie

I have a riv-nut tool. Would a nut insert and panhead style bolt grip and hold better than a sheet metal style thread?
Attached Thumbnails
20220531_064720.jpg  
Old 05-31-2022, 08:36 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Wood to Metal framing screws

#12 x 2-1/2" Reamer Tek Star/Torx T-30 Screw Head Self-Drilling Wood to Metal Screws for Flatbeds, Trailers, or for Fastening Wood to Steel

Check out the recently updated thread (link below) regarding the same question.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/f...rips-5121.html
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
^^^^^^ What DeMac said ^^^^^

Just make sure to measure the screw and the combined depth you need to sink them to, and choose the appropriate length fasteners. Different manufacturers of the same style appear to make different lengths, so sometimes you need to shop across brands. As the threads end well before the drilling end of the screw, you gotta be sure you've chosen a length that goes far enough to engage the threads fully into the metal you're screwing into, but not so far that the tip of the screw hits whatever is behind it (which could cause you to either drill through the exterior of the bus, or create a 'stop' that destroys the threads you just made). Longer screws are kind of a pain to get started (for me), so in those cases pilot holes in the wood aren't a bad idea.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
^^^^^^ What DeMac said ^^^^^

Just make sure to measure the screw and the combined depth you need to sink them to, and choose the appropriate length fasteners. Different manufacturers of the same style appear to make different lengths, so sometimes you need to shop across brands. As the threads end well before the drilling end of the screw, you gotta be sure you've chosen a length that goes far enough to engage the threads fully into the metal you're screwing into, but not so far that the tip of the screw hits whatever is behind it (which could cause you to either drill through the exterior of the bus, or create a 'stop' that destroys the threads you just made). Longer screws are kind of a pain to get started (for me), so in those cases pilot holes in the wood aren't a bad idea.
-------------------

Yes. All that.

Measure the each section of the shank to ensure that the threads are gripping, not too far. Check a couple sizes if you must.

Definitely predrill the wood or the threads will act as a screw-conveyor, lifting the wood away from the surface. (breaks tips, too)

I also, predrilled pilot holes into the ribs, through the wood beam. (Cutting oil is ok w/wood) Clamps and a partner make it all possible.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:41 PM   #6
Skoolie

Thanks for the advice! Any advice for orientation of the wall framing (verticle or horizontal)?
Old 05-31-2022, 03:53 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I attached wood to the ribs in two different ways. Like DeMac, I ran the 3/4" furring strips on my ceiling front-to-back and screwed them directly to the ribs with Teks wood-to-metal screws. For the walls, I screwed c-brackets to the back of 2" deep pieces of 2X4 using wood screws, then the c-brackets fit over the ribs and I attached them with Teks self-drilling sheet metal screws run into the sides of the ribs. The force on the Teks screws in this case is all shear - no force acting to pull these screws out of the ribs. Does it matter? Probably not and it's certainly more work to do it this way.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:16 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Bluebird Chevrolet short bus
Chassis: Chevrolet 3500
Engine: 6.0 Gas hog
Rated Cap: As many as could fit
When I had to fix wood to metal in my project, I used self-drilling screws with a flat, round top. These are super handy because you don't need to drill holes first – they do it as you screw them in. This saved me a lot of time.

I chose screws with more extensive, rough threads since they stick better to the metal, especially when the wood is soft. It's essential to pick the suitable screws so everything stays put. I buy my screws from a High Tensile Fasteners manufacturer because their stuff is strong and lasts a long time. You want screws that can handle being screwed into metal, and these high-strength screws are perfect for that.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:44 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
-------------------

Yes. All that.

Measure the each section of the shank to ensure that the threads are gripping, not too far. Check a couple sizes if you must.

Definitely predrill the wood or the threads will act as a screw-conveyor, lifting the wood away from the surface. (breaks tips, too)

I also, predrilled pilot holes into the ribs, through the wood beam. (Cutting oil is ok w/wood) Clamps and a partner make it all possible.

i had trouble with the wings on these screws enlarging the steel channel and the threads not engauging. went up 1 size (in diameter) and ground the wings off. i predrilled the wood but not the channel.this is where 2 drill/drivers are handy. i also used sill insulation behind all wood to metal contact points.
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:48 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
I have a riv-nut tool. Would a nut insert and panhead style bolt grip and hold better than a sheet metal style thread?
these are good til they spin. when i use these i put a couple of tac welds on each other. sorry but i had a few bad experiences with these to use without the welder
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:46 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore6856 View Post
i predrilled the wood but not the channel
I had to do the same to get these to work properly. Without a predrilled hole in the wood (wider in diameter than the threads), the screw would bite the wood and force it away from the channel rather than digging into the metal. I also countersunk the predrilled holes for good measure to prevent the furring strips from splitting.

Tags
bolt ribs, framing, screw, walls