Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 w/MT643
Rated Cap: 71
What type of jack/method do you use?

I was thinking of a reply to a post that advised me to jack one side of the bus and turn the wheel to see how many rotations the driveshaft made in relation to the tires. I then thought to myself, I dont have a tool, or combination of tools to jack up my bus if we were to get a flat. I see those huge tow trucks that haul semi's and just figured there would be some type of roadside assistance if the need arose. But the mention of jacking up the bus as if I were being told to do something super easy like look outside, made me think there are people out there that have a means to jack up their bus without much trouble.

My question is, how do you all jack up your rig for any reason? (changing tires etc...)

I'm very very curious

Thanks,

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
heathnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: What type of jack/method do you use?

Haven't had the need to jack up the bus yet. We will get Coachnet. At 53yo, I don't have the strength nor the desire to heft one of the bus tires. David doesn't need to risk another heart attack by changing a tire on the side of the road. We do not even have a spare tire.

Coachnet roadside service would even cover our jeep, towed or not.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummings turbo diesel

I took the aux air tank on my skoolie and put a NPT fitting on it. I then use a 12 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack I got at Northern Tools connected to the air tank to get it up. I have done this a few times to test, and to get the bus level while camping.

I also have a torque multiplier if I ever need to change the tire. I have used this twice to rotate some tires and test.

Finally I have a large torque wrench so I can properly torque the lugs back on.

Now just a heads up changing a tire is not a easy thing you have a double lug to worry about. One is the normal nut, then you have the square bolt that holds the inner dully on.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, to liberty, to abundance, to selfishness, to complacency, to apathy, to dependence, and back again to bondage.
kc_4_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Have to go with Lorna on this one...The BC weighs about 29,000 lbs in total, I'm betting about 15,000 per axle. I carry a spare, but I don't have the impact tools to change a tire...I pay AAA $116 a year for roadside assistance, which includes towing for 150 miles, and I will let them do the flat if I have one. I thinks its a good deal as opposed to carrying all the equipment I would need, not to mention a place to store it
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I have 20 ton bottle jacks that will lift the bus. I have done that to level it out before.

At 59, and weighing 145 lbs, I would not attempt to lift one of those tires and wheels.

Even if you are strong enough to do that, you would need a six foot bar on a socket to get a tire off. On my bus, the driver's side lug nuts are left handed threads. The passenger side are right handed threads. That is something to remember.

AAA and other roadside assistance is a smart move.

I also do not carry a spare. I do not have anywhere to store one, plus I do not drive my bus much. However, if you have room to carry a spare, even if you cannot do a tire change by yourself, at least you won't have to buy another tire to get you down the road.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
. . . . However, if you have room to carry a spare, even if you cannot do a tire change by yourself, at least you won't have to buy another tire to get you down the road.
I have read "horror" stories about roadside service in the middle of nowhere where RVers have had to pay high prices for third-rate tires that don't last from the only shop that will come out to them. Being prepared is the best defense. Taking care of your tires first, and secondly carrying a spare if there is a place for one are not bad ideas. The spare you might carry does not have to be brand-spanking new, a used but not over-used tire good enough to get you out of the boonies to a good dealer will be enough.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

One other simple thing that even road side services do..... they screw some 2x4s together and drive them up (only able to be done on the rear) so it lifts the bad tire off the ground so it can be taken off. Kind of like some leveling ramps? But again the best advice... keep up with your tires.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

20 ton bottle jack, sockets for the buds and for the lug nuts, a ratchet, a break over bar a cheater bar and blocks of wood. It's not that bad. Getting it jacked up isn't any harder than anything else, the lugs can be a little difficult. It makes life easier if you put anti seize on the threads every time you change one.

My spare hangs from a cable on a hand winch behind the rear axle.

Accordian you wouldn't have an trouble changing a tire on your bus.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

I have to jack the rear of mine to get grease in the springs. Faulty spring busing design is to blame for that. I use a 12 ton hydraulic jack. Down side is that its getting harder to get underneath the thing anymore. As far as a spare...I carry nothing but my coachnet card for that. Not worth the hassle.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

Motobus,

I had to laugh when you wrote:
"Accordian, you wouldn't have any trouble changing a tire on your bus."

Even if I had a spare, I could not lift it. In my youth, I had superpowers. Not anymore.