Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking
whats the gCwr of your bus? (combo weight/w-trailer)

Not just GVWR (max weight in the vehicle) but if you happen to also know the GCWR of your bus, especially looking for specs on Class 7 type vehicles. The towing thread covers the physics, but not the legality or manufacturer's recommended weight/load usually limited by the transmission. Since i've never seen a schoolbus pulling a trailer from the factory i'm guessing they probably AREN'T rated or expected to see that kind of duty almost ever. :-/

In specific i'm curious if anybody has a bus that is rated to haul 10,000lbs or more from the factory. (given the right hitch of course)

nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: whats the gCwr of your bus? (combo weight/w-trailer)

I've seen a few school busses in the past year, but I've not seen a single GCVWR for a single one of them.

This is an option for the manufacturer, and really depends on a lot of factors. A major factor is the actual hitch installed, and most school busses don't come from the factory with a hitch.

There's a recent thread where the total weight limits for the AT545 and MT643 transmissions are referenced.

In my opinion, the smart way to do this is to take the max weight the transmission can handle and treat that as the GCVWR, pre-supposing you have a hitch installed properly and rated for the weight required to meet that GCVWR.

I'll be really surprised if anyone does have a GCVWR from the manufacturer. On the other hand, I'd love to be wrong about that. In my opinion, chassis manufacturers should include that figure just like GVWR.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the GCVWR being missing puts you in a grey area of the law, where things aren't clearly defined.

Good luck,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote