Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2022, 03:17 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32' Two peeps and a Dog!
What's your walk away price? Survey Time!

Hello All,

Survey time! If you don’t mind:

What would your walk away price be in a an auction for a bus of the following type?
  • 40’ 2000 International 3800 working Front wheelchair lift
  • 7.3L Navistar T444E and Allison transmission(not sure the type or gearing)
  • 240,000 miles
  • Airbrakes
  • Runs Needs a tune up though
  • Under body photos shows no rust just some superficial stuff on the very bottom of the main frame rail.
  • Being decommissioned from a school district after it sat last year as a spare bus during covid.
  • No maintenance logs

The contact in the bid info said there was a bidding war and the last RE bus they auctioned went for 5k That’s way better than 10k at a dealer. But from what I hear the price can be much better. Or at least should be. I am just trying to become a wiser buyer.

Also If you might have a lead on a bus or a bus for sale like the above one, Hit me up by PM if you’re ok with sharing. Im hoping to buy a bus by the fall. willing to wait for the right one.

Thomas

TMartineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:22 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Lots of people trying to get into the bus game now, combined with general increased demand for "stuff" seems to have driven up used bus prices as well. $5k is not unreasonable in the current market IMHO, but be aware that you may double that in tune up repairs.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoundman View Post
but be aware that you may double that in tune up repairs.
Yeah, I have on my to do list to call local (to the bus) mech shops to price potential maintenance or repairs.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartineau View Post
Yeah, I have on my to do list to call local (to the bus) mech shops to price potential maintenance or repairs.
Well, I paid about $500 recently to have an engine oil change done. Typically it's $200 or so in fluids, and the shop rates I've seen vary from $95-115/hr.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Hello All,
What would your walk away price be in a an auction for a bus...
When I got into the game, you could find fresh decomms in all kinds of conditions from about $1500 as a gremlins breeding ground to about $3-3500 for something nice and working well. Maybe pushing it up to $4200 for something newer (<10 y/o) that had some kind of rare or expensive option.

If it's still titled as a 'skoolie', I would probably cap it at $5-6K, and even then, only if it was some kind of dream configuration that had everything I'd ever look for.

I might pay any extra $200-500 these days if the seats had been removed, but were still in the bus (On the off-chance that I decided to salvage some of the framing or covers for some project).
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:50 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Hello All,

What would your walk away price be in a an auction for a bus of the following type?
  • 40’ 2000 International 3800 working Front wheelchair lift
  • 7.3L Navistar T444E and Allison transmission(not sure the type or gearing)
  • 240,000 miles
  • Airbrakes
  • Runs Needs a tune up though
  • Under body photos shows no rust just some superficial stuff on the very bottom of the main frame rail.
  • Being decommissioned from a school district after it sat last year as a spare bus during covid.
  • No maintenance logs

The contact in the bid info said there was a bidding war and the last RE bus they auctioned went for 5k That’s way better than 10k at a dealer. But from what I hear the price can be much better. Or at least should be. I am just trying to become a wiser buyer.

Also If you might have a lead on a bus or a bus for sale like the above one, Hit me up by PM if you’re ok with sharing. Im hoping to buy a bus by the fall. willing to wait for the right one.

Thomas
Take a look at these Florida busses (St. Johns County) for sale, auction ends tomorrow.
I usually wait until the last 15 minutes before auction ends to put in a bid. No need to run up the prices so early in the game.

These busses are running at about $2600 bucks right now.

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/all,fl...aucs?catid=402
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:59 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
With no factory A/C, I'd probably go $5k or so with a bid, assuming that bus meets your requirements for what you want. Most auctions are going to have a buyer's premium tacked on that as well which would bring you in around $5500-6000.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 7.3L in 40ft buses, a little underpowered and the 7.3L is infamous for oil leaks that can get pricey to fix. I much prefer a 7.6L. The 7.3L is great on 35' and short buses though.

240k miles is getting up there, although I just bought my bus at 260k, but plan for a little more maint costs and a rebuild than something at 140-160k. Any old bus can have maint issues though so budget accordingly.

That's my two Copper Abe Lincolns worth.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:27 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love the 444E but its a dog in a heavy loaded bus.. snd depending on the year yes they made these in RE with AT545.. so make sure it has an A2000, MD3060 or MT643, with 240k that would be a 3k bus for me.. Maybe 4k if it has an MD3060 trans..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:20 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
What do you know?

Quote:
Hello All,

[*]40’ 2000 International 3800 working Front wheelchair lift

Also If you might have a lead on a bus or a bus for sale like the above one, Hit me up by PM
if you’re ok with sharing. Im hoping to buy a bus by the fall. willing to wait for the right one.

Thomas
----------------------------

This is a great idea. A skoolie.net member may stumble across your future skoolie (or even peruse some lesser known district) and drop you a tip.

...I'd walk at $4,000.
+$1500 if 466/3060
The lift adds value to your requirements.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:23 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:

Thomas
What features or requirements/wants do you have? I shop used buses consistently for my party bus business and can keep an eye out...
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:47 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Our 96 40' RE AmTran (International) with 7.3 and Allison MT643, 235,000 miles, all seat removed, coach style windows, NO RUST, three factory AC's, 6'3" (factory) headroom, screwed not riveted interior panels, BRAND NEW Bridgestone's, Alloy wheels, and OnSpot automatic snow chains...

$5,300 from a private party that bought it to convert and never did.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:49 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
3500 or so…. “Needs a tune up” on a 7.3 is 5-6.5k
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:17 AM   #13
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Take a look at these Florida busses (St. Johns County) for sale, auction ends tomorrow.
I usually wait until the last 15 minutes before auction ends to put in a bid. No need to run up the prices so early in the game.

These busses are running at about $2600 bucks right now.

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/all,fl...aucs?catid=402
Thanks for the leads! You're Miami based, Which FL counties would you stay away from? Heard about some of them cann' busses then send them to auction...

Thomas
Old 05-13-2022, 07:22 AM   #14
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I love the 444E but its a dog in a heavy loaded bus.. snd depending on the year yes they made these in RE with AT545.. so make sure it has an A2000, MD3060 or MT643, with 240k that would be a 3k bus for me.. Maybe 4k if it has an MD3060 trans..
Thank you for the engine / transmission combo advice for this type of bus. I would be driving coast to coast and Yes I'd like to drive through the mountains. So this is a point I need to get right.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #15
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbacks2k4 View Post
What features or requirements/wants do you have? I shop used buses consistently for my party bus business and can keep an eye out...
Thank you for this!

So Ideally being in a wheelchair with a 100 lb service dog space is first on the list. With my disability I need certain things like a legit Shower with a built in bench a washer dryer combo and definitely AC/heat (mini split) Although I don’t need a toilet (disability win), Thought about composting toilet for visitors. Maybe stored under the bus? Maybe under the Shower bench? I do need A fair amount of storage for single use med supplies.
• 40’
• RE maybe a dog nose
• High roof, but wont do a raise as I’m only like 4 ft tall in the wheelchair… lol but I want upper cabinet storage.
• Flat floor would open my design way up but all most certain in RE that’s not possible but maybe in a dog nose.
• Working wheelchair lift in the most forward position; as close to the front entry as possible. A middle lift would kill too much space in the floor plans Ive been drawing. and a rear lift in a dog nose forces my bedroom right behind the driver and Im not a fan because of the wasted space a murphy bed would require.
• I would like to have my living room and office up front that way I can have clients over to review designs and documents for my Garden design business.
• Pre 2007 no Maxxforce mess
• I’m obviously still getting advice on engine and trans combos. I would like to travel coast to coast. And through the mountains. I have good friends who live in Crested Butte, LA, Texas.
• I don’t need working bus ac just going to rip those out anyways. Probably the heaters too.
• Now I have access to a free lift If I find a killer bus with no lift but… I would need a lot of help since I wont be able to even get on the bus until the lift is installed. So I don’t really want to go down that road. See what I did there? ��
• I don’t want a bus from the North East Im pretty sure unless its mint underneath, Right?
• Im open to busses all over as I realize my needs are kinda specific.

p.s Ill also be pulling My subaru outback.

Thomas
Old 05-13-2022, 10:10 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thank you for this!

So Ideally being in a wheelchair with a 100 lb service dog space is first on the list. With my disability I need certain things like a legit Shower with a built in bench a washer dryer combo and definitely AC/heat (mini split) Although I don’t need a toilet (disability win), Thought about composting toilet for visitors. Maybe stored under the bus? Maybe under the Shower bench? I do need A fair amount of storage for single use med supplies.
• 40’
• RE maybe a dog nose
• High roof, but wont do a raise as I’m only like 4 ft tall in the wheelchair… lol but I want upper cabinet storage.
• Flat floor would open my design way up but all most certain in RE that’s not possible but maybe in a dog nose.
• Working wheelchair lift in the most forward position; as close to the front entry as possible. A middle lift would kill too much space in the floor plans Ive been drawing. and a rear lift in a dog nose forces my bedroom right behind the driver and Im not a fan because of the wasted space a murphy bed would require.
• I would like to have my living room and office up front that way I can have clients over to review designs and documents for my Garden design business.
• Pre 2007 no Maxxforce mess
• I’m obviously still getting advice on engine and trans combos. I would like to travel coast to coast. And through the mountains. I have good friends who live in Crested Butte, LA, Texas.
• I don’t need working bus ac just going to rip those out anyways. Probably the heaters too.
• Now I have access to a free lift If I find a killer bus with no lift but… I would need a lot of help since I wont be able to even get on the bus until the lift is installed. So I don’t really want to go down that road. See what I did there? ��
• I don’t want a bus from the North East Im pretty sure unless its mint underneath, Right?
• Im open to busses all over as I realize my needs are kinda specific.

Thomas
Ultimately you will choose what YOU want, but in your situation, I would look for a bus from the Southwest with factory AC. Mini split is great when you're parked but it won't really work when you're driving, only factory AC can do that. I don't know if there's many buses with lifts that have it in the forward position, usually they're mid or rear, and those buses are typically "mid sized", not 40 feet, at least from what I've seen.

I think you'll do well with a mid sized bus with factory AC and a lift. May or may not be dognose, transit front engine, or transit rear engine, doesn't really matter too much. You should be able to tow with any bus really, the key is whether or not you're also in a big hurry to climb hills.

Another idea, why not a city transit bus? Those have tons of headroom, factory AC, and they're low floor, and most already have fold out wheelchair ramps. That way you don't need a lift, you just go right in.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:30 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Thanks for the leads! You're Miami based, Which FL counties would you stay away from? Heard about some of them cann' busses then send them to auction...

Thomas
Stay FAR AWAY from Palm beach county auctions!
They are known for taking all the good parts they need and swap the the bad parts onto the auctions busses.
I was told this first hand 5 years ago by the shop manager, back when I started looking for busses. You will also note that most if not all their auction busses are non runners.

Broward county is much better, they got lots of 40' RE busses with A/c in their fleet. little to no rust on them.

Dade county, I really haven't seen alot of good auctions from them although from time to time you can snag a good deal on their stuff on the Bidera auction site. Over the years I have seen quite a few of the smaller special needs busses, 10 row flatnose with a/c and wheel chair lifts but, you got to inspect those just to be safe. they will just about all of them have mold from sitting and tires are never in new condition.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:16 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Quote:
A bit off topic from the conversation, but the last I checked Subaru's can only be flat towed if equipped with manual transmissions and cannot be dolly towed in any configuration. In most you'd need to tow it on a flatbed trailer, which would be a major PITA in my opinion.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:23 AM   #19
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
A bit off topic from the conversation, but the last I checked Subaru's can only be flat towed if equipped with manual transmissions and cannot be dolly towed in any configuration. In most you'd need to tow it on a flatbed trailer, which would be a major PITA in my opinion.
There was this sneaking suspicion that some cars cant be towed... After a quick call to the dealership, You are correct. Its is an all wheel drive and you must get all 4 tires off the ground in a towing situation... So I'll be trading that in before the build is done. Dang.... I love my Subie... lol
Thomas
Old 05-13-2022, 01:02 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
My walk away price would be 240k miles. That and not knowing the model # of the trans. My Silverado has upwards of 215k on it but I know where it's been and how it was treated.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote