Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Wheel wells, roof raise and side aisle?

Here's a pic showing the amount of distance that my rear axle has until it hits the rubber stopper. It is about 4" of clearance. Now when I look at my wheel wells there is about 8" or more above my tires. Also, the wheel well bumps start well ahead of and behind the tires. I could ,therefore, remove most of the wheel well and leave just a small bump centered over the tire to allow for clearances while giving me more usable floor space in the bus. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1096.JPG  

jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
It is about 4" of clearance. Now when I look at my wheel wells there is about 8" or more above my tires. Also, the wheel well bumps start well ahead of and behind the tires. I could ,therefore, remove most of the wheel well and leave just a small bump centered over the tire to allow for clearances while giving me more usable floor space in the bus. Just a thought.
I personally would keep that extra space due to little things like mud buildup, or a blown tire, or a tread coming loose.... you want some wiggle room there so that such things don't bind up and cause serious damage.

But that's just my opinion. YMMV.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

ya last thing you want is some unwanted tire contact!!

also that extra room is for flexing to. just cause there is 4" to the bump stop doesn't mean that wheel will only move 4"!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I have tought about a side isle myself. It would allow larger un-broken rooms and other sections.

And I like the idea of the raised floor. One more step into the bus would not likely be a noticable nuisance.

This would create a fabulous space to put water tanks and such.

You could probably get away with shaving a couple of inches off the top of the wheel wells -- unless you might ever need to use snow chains.

You would be raising the floor less that one foot. I lifted my roof two feet. Piece of cake!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote