Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Wheelbase (relatively speaking) of conventional buses

I'm new to the world of skoolies, and I'm having more fun than should be allowed reading all information and discussion. One thing I haven't been able to find, or maybe I haven't looked hard enough, is the wheelbase of various sized conventional style buses. If you've not seen my other post, I'm hoping to find a conventional style bus that I can chop the back end off and use to haul a gooseneck horse trailer. I want to get as much space in the inside of the bus as I can because we have 5 children to transport in addition to the horses and/or hay. We regularly traverse the state of Kansas too. I just didn't know if there was a significant difference in the wheelbase of a 65/66 passenger bus versus that of a 77 passenger bus. I'd like to hold out for a 77 passenger, but only if there's enough difference, otherwise I can look at 65 passenger ones.

In my rookie estimation, it would seem that by chopping the rear off, I'd get about 15' of floor space for a 65 passenger bus. I'm guessing at that one based off the flat nosed one that sits outside the junior high a block away...where I happen to work. Would I get as much as 3-4' feet for usable space with a 77 passenger, or would it be only about 1-2 feet? I have to stay away from the flat nose buses since my woman has already called shotgun...and the advise I'd already received (thanks).

Someone posted a picture of a flat-nose jobby of what I want to do a few years ago...now that I know it's been done, I want to do it more than ever!

Thanks,
Ben.

NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Wheelbase (relatively speaking) of conventional buses

I don't have any info on conventional bus wheel bases, but on FE flat noses, the wb starts at 144, 162, 180, 198, 216, and ends at 234 inches. Mine is a 234 inch wb with 14 windows and an overall length of 38 feet. Not sure but I think the conventionals use the same wheelbases, but may have more hangover in the rear or less seating capacity, tho overall length may be the same.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on this.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote